Pool Sides

Mar 13, 2013
I have recentley bought a house with an in ground pool. The pool needs some work done. It has to have a new liner, but what im most worried about is the sheet metal sides and the bottom. it looks to manly be one panel that is very bad, the others are just rusted in parts. The bad panel has rusted through in places and dirt is starting to come through. What would be the best way to fix this problem, I thought about fiberglass or possible the stuff you roll on for bed liners in trucks. Also what would be helpful to get the rust off the walls. Now the problem with the floor is that the area between the walls and the floor of the pool are starting to erode from the rain since the pool was not previously covered. It feels like the floor is sand, "someone told me the floor is some type of concrete with a sandy base different from sac crete. What would be the best way to go about fixing this? Would you just put in new pool sand/concrete and skim it flush and how much troouble would this be? Also i have someone coming over to measure the liner and was going to try to order on online to cut cost, has anyone had any experience buying a liner online?
Sorry for all the lengthy question, but this is my first pool. Thanks for any replys.

Welcome to TFP.

If the backfill behind the walls is still in good shape and hasn't started caving in you can clean the rusted places and treat them then put a piece of sheet metal over the panels and use some fiberglass or bondo to feather it in.

The floor should be pool crete and it's a very sandy mix and the best thing to do is repair it with the same stuff. As you said, just clean the floor and skim the bad places with new material.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

If the backfill behind the walls is still in good shape and hasn't started caving in you can clean the rusted places and treat them then put a piece of sheet metal over the panels and use some fiberglass or bondo to feather it in.

The floor should be pool crete and it's a very sandy mix and the best thing to do is repair it with the same stuff. As you said, just clean the floor and skim the bad places with new material.
I would never cover up a panel that has already began to rust and corrode with a new piece of metal. You are just asking for condensation to form between the two causing more troubles down the road. Unfortunately there really is no easy way to fix this problem, the right way. You will want to cut out the panel, if its really bad, which means removing the back fill and most likely the concrete decking above. The cross your fingers method, would be to strip down the panel with a wire wheel, and treat the panel with a rust remover and rust stop, then recoat the panel with a galvanizing spray of some sort. Just in the last year alone we have done probably 8 panel replacements on pools over 10-20 year old pools. We have also had good luck on various liner replacements using the second method I mentioned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.