Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph Rise Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph Rise Question

I am curious what kind of rise I can expect from using an aerator attached to a return. I am getting a good "fountain effect" through a 2" pvc pipe (capped with about 12 drilled holes). I installed last Saturday AM, but I seem to be stuck at 7.2 for the last 3 days. Pump run time is 12 hrs/day at present.

All of my other numbers are within normal parameters. Water temp is < 50 degrees F.

Any discussion/input is appreciated.

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph Rise Question

What is your t/a reading?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

How are u testing and can you post a full set of test result please
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure thing.

Results as of this morning:

FC - 4.5
    CC - 0
    ph - 7.2
    TA - 90
    CH - 240
    CYA - 40

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

5. Back To Top    #5

It could be lower than 7.2 which would give the effect that it is not moving

6. Back To Top    #6

Not cool! Any way to hack the test to re-confirm results? Maybe add a little bacon fat to it or something?

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I'd just be patient for a couple more days with the fountain running and see what happens.

If it's 7.2 why are you wanting to raise it so quickly?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi bama - not necessarily trying to raise it quickly - it is my first effort to raise ph by aerating - wasn't sure what to expect with the duration. Well - it looks cool anyways and makes a pleasing sound so....

I should have mentioned we got an inch of rain 2 days ago - wonder if that might have had an effect.

I'll let it go and just make sure I'm testing daily. Thanks all.

Best,

Sciz

s

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sciz Milson
    I should have mentioned we got an inch of rain 2 days ago - wonder if that might have had an effect.
    Rain is generally a PH neutral event. While usually acidic, the rain event itself aerates the water and offsets.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Your signature indicates that you have an SWG. However, since the plaster is less than 30 days old, that should not be operational, yet. If you are using trichlor until the SWG is ready, then that will lower the pH and offset some of the pH rise from aeration.

If you are using liquid chlorine, then the low pH with fresh plaster is unusual.

If you are using trichlor, then you could raise the TA about 10 to 20 ppm to get a rise in the pH.