Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flocculants or clarifying agents...

1. Back To Top    #1

Flocculants or clarifying agents...

Do they work as they claim and are they necessary? I have had a problem chasing algae, and when I shock the water, the dead algae settles on the floor of the pool and I vacuum to waste to remove it. If I go through the filter, the water gets very cloudy and the stuff settles on the bottom again. Vacuuming the whole pool takes a long time and uses plenty of water, and have been told that if you add a flocculant, it helps I to clump together and settle, then you gently brush it to one area, let I settle again and vac it out. Does this actually work?
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flocculants or clarifying agents...

It can help, but it's usually not needed. People tend to use it as a band-aid when they have chemistry problems, so we seldom talk about it, but it can be a good tool for cleaning up a situation such as yours. Often a little patience will do the same thing though.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm...patience...do they sell that somewhere?
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kwikee
    Hmmm...patience...do they sell that somewhere?

If I could figure out a way to package it, I'd be a billionaire.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Flocculant and clarifier are two different animals and from the limited research I've done clarifiers seem to work much better than flocs. However neither of them work if you have an active algae bloom. You have to kill the algae before either stands a chance of working. Floc requires a very specific procedure and conditions for it to work. Clarifier works with the pool running and filtering. It appears that most don't follow the procedure well enough for floc to be effective most of the time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit