20 yr old pool, brand new pool deck / patio.

wtrtoys

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
North Canton, Ohio
Hello everyone and thank you for this unbelievable site, my family and I moved into our home on christmas day 2011 and were fortunate enough that it came with a beautiful 16x32 ig pool. Last summer was my first experience with a pool and I did pretty well, minus the one and only water incident (cloudy) the morning of a HUGE party (lucky huh?).

I just found this site about a month or two ago and have been on pool overload ever since, what I have not stumbled across or maybe can't find because of my lack of knowledge is this:
I will be tearing up 800 sq ft of existing patio that butts up to the 4' strip going around the pool, and also a complete equipment relocation. With that being said, what can I, what should I, or what do I make sure I take advantage of while the patio is torn out prior to the new stamped concrete patio being put in?

I know you all need more information and pics but I will have to get that when I get home to make sure I am 100% correct on everything (I just had a bit of time at work right now to start this topic and this is all I can think about). I do have a sliding board, a retractable fountain that comes out of the bottom, 2 return jets, one skimmer, and what I believe is a port for a vacuum but the line is blocking that and the pipe is stubbed out of the ground by the pump but not hooked up to anything.

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like an interesting project that you have planned. I'm curious to know your reasoning behind relocating the equipment pad.

Thank you for your reply sir, I will post pics so it is much easier to understand, but the bottom line is that the new walkway will be layed right on top of where the equipment sits now, and that is because where the walkway is now is where my garage / outdoor kitchen / bar is going. So with that all being said while my ditch is open to the new location I was wondering if I should put a couple extra return pipes in for future deck jets or waterfall or whatever else you pro's do.

Shoot I almost forgot I also emptied my sand filter to replace the sand is there anything special to look for in sand or just get pool or filter sand? And how much? because I cant read any of the labels on the filter :(

Unless you can terminate the unused pipes somewhere easy to later find, there's not much use in installing them. Now if you have a specific location for them the by all means go ahead and have them ran.

As for the filter, You need #20 filter sand. We'll have to know the model to know how much it takes. If you can give us some measurements we may be able to figure it out. It looks like a Hayward S-200 or S-240 (more like a S-240). If it is the 240 it takes 300# of sand. The S-200 takes 200#. Measure the inside diameter at the seam to make sure which it is.

Thank you so much sir for your reply, I believe it is a s-200 I read that somewhere on it when I was cleaning it. I dont want anyone to think that I'm nutty or anything but I want to get everything in the ditch as possible because unfortunately there will be a garage on top of the ditch hopefully next year (and it will be too late then). I was thinking about deck jets or a waterfall or something and yes was just going to leave it stubbed up right under the surface of the ground between the pool deck and the garage.
Any thoughts on deck jets? I would have to do that now before the patio gets poured.
Also while I have you here, I now have 1 1/2" black pily pipe and after my TFP education, I will be converting that to 2" sch 40 to go the extra 24' to the new pool pad. It is at that end I have questions on my 8 - 2" stubs coming out of the ground I was going to use ball valves but after looking at hundreds of pad pics and reading here im now leaning toward 1 ball valve (waste line), 3 2 way jandy's on the suction and 4 - 2 way's on the returns. Overkill? Should I use 2 - 3 ways and 1- 2 way instead?

If it's an S-200 then you need 200# of #20 sand. Make sure it's pool filter sand.

Since you have a real reason for wanting to run extra pipes (future building) I don't blame you for doing it now. Changing from poly pipe to PVC is a great plan.

I wouldn't put a valve at all on the waste line unless there's some special reason to.
I prefer 2-way valves over 3-way valves but that's strictly a presonal preference and either will work just fine for you. The rational behind using 3-way valves is you save a valve and the chance of closing off both flow paths is a little less with a 3-way than with (2)2-ways.

Is there any reason I would ever need to adjust the flow or shut off my return jets? Or just put one on cause it will look better? Haha
Then my next question would babe where is the best place to buy 6 - 2 way jandy valves? And I will someday upgrade all of my equupment to something? And would like it alI to go well togetheris jandy ok to stay with or look at the other two also?
Thank you very much sir for your time, you'll be sure to get put on the christmas list!

I doubt that you'd ever need to adjust the flow out the return jets with the valves. The best way to change the flow out of the jets is to change the eyeballs.

You may need to adjust the flow from the skimmer and/or main drain but you can do that with 2-way valves. If I were going to install a 3-way valve, the suction side is where I would install one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's hard to give a recommendation because either will work fine. It really depends on your preference. I would go with a suction cleaner and not have to deal with a booster pump, but they also make boosterless pressure side vacuums. It'd be nice if you could rig it so you could switch it from one to the other.

My Pool guy (who I actually trust) said it's 50/50, chevy/ford kind of arguement, he said making it pressure I can hook some kind of gizmo uo to it and make another water feature type thing. Already having the fountain thats not really necessary, but heck there are alot of things not necessary in life:) but I like making it both, I have to sit on that one for a minute so I can make it dummy proof

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.