Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drop Based PH kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Drop Based PH kit

I was wondering if there may be a better mouse trap out there as to measuring PH. I have been using the OTO kit that came in the TF100 kit, but I really suck at telling the difference between the colors.

The drop based tests in the TF100 are awesome and leave very little to interpretation. Is there a drop based PH kit that is reasonable accurate and priced? I couldn't find one on TFTeskits site.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    15.7K, IG Sunstone Pearl, 2 - Skimmers, 6-Returns, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 580 SF Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 280, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Del Ozone EC-2, 10' Diameter Sunken Swim Up Bar With Palapa (built in Kegerator set at 27o), 2 - Jandy LED Lights, Weeping wall with 5 returns, Bubbler in Tanning Ledge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drop Based PH kit

Sorry, the pH test with the OTO test is really the best pH test. There is no drop based test.

There are digital tests, but often the accuracy seems to be pretty suspect.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I tend to like the Taylor K2000 series 9056 comperator (which use a different reagent) because it has a bit more separation on the pH levels (6 levels with .2 separating them versus 5 levels with .3 - .4). I use my K1000 for a quick daily / every other day and then on the weekends I use the 9056 and the K1000 to compare them. Admittedly not necessary but I am just a a bit geeky that way.......

If it is something that you want to pursue - just a heads up it's cheaper to buy the block and reagent(s) than to buy the whole kit assuming you already have a TF100
    18,000 Gallon IG, Pebble Sheen, Quartzite coping
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection
    TF100 + PoolCalculator + This Site!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am with rjward. The 9056 gives you another gradation but added a bit much to the total cost when bundling in the TF-100.

Often, a VERY easy solution is to have another person estimate the test results with you and take the average of your findings.

I struggled a bit the first season, but like most everything, the pH test now seems much easier because of my prior experience.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Try holding the test up to the light in front of a sheet of white paper. That always helped me. If it looks like this, then it's too low. If it looks like this, then it's too high. If it looks like this, then it's about right.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

I like to read the block held a few inches away from one of my windows or back door at arms length with the sun shinning. My windows and door have white casings. This gives a nice background and neglects other colors from blending in. Like schertyzy82 said, the white background with light is what you want.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I think I have it down now. I judge the PH to be 7.8 when I got home this evening. When I used the pool calculator to calculate the amount of MA it was spot on with my retest after addition.

I will just have to get used to telling different shades of pink apart!

Thanks for all of the advice.
    15.7K, IG Sunstone Pearl, 2 - Skimmers, 6-Returns, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 580 SF Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 280, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Del Ozone EC-2, 10' Diameter Sunken Swim Up Bar With Palapa (built in Kegerator set at 27o), 2 - Jandy LED Lights, Weeping wall with 5 returns, Bubbler in Tanning Ledge

8. Back To Top    #8

Would a multi value litmus paper work? The one that has several colours and can read from about 2 to 13? Or even one that changes a few different colours between 7 and 8?
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kwikee
    Would a multi value litmus paper work? The one that has several colours and can read from about 2 to 13? Or even one that changes a few different colours between 7 and 8?
    Work at all, yes. But it wouldn't be nearly as easy to read as the standard PH test. The wide range tests basically give you one color for anything between 7 and 8, and the paper strip narrow range tests are never quite as good as the liquid test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School