Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to fight scale

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to fight scale

So I did a drain/refill to lower cya. I shocked the pool and am now ready to start the scale battle
    current readings:
    fc 24
    cc 0
    ph 7.0
    ta 80
    ch 100
    cya 50

What do I do now?
    8500 gal. IG/11 x 23 fiberglass with screen enclosure/Hayward Star Clear + C12002 cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to fight scale

Catch us up on what all you've done so far.
    Have you passed the OCLT?
    What type scale are we talking about?
    Will it fizz if you put mild acid on it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure the shock process is complete? Did you pass the overnight loss test?

If so, let FC come down so the pH reading will be accurate. If FC is above 10 it might be wrong. My own experience is that by keeping the pH low so that the CSI is kept between -.3 and -.6 the scale will ever so slowly dissolve. I've been working on mine for a long time. Brushing with a steel brush seems to speed it up. There is a short how-to article in Pool School, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not done the overnight test. I thought since cc was 0 I was done. I will complete it.
    I also did not see if it would fizz. Not sure what kind of scale it is but the it is massive. It is the ENTIRE surface of the pool covering everything under water. I will do those 2 things and report back.
    8500 gal. IG/11 x 23 fiberglass with screen enclosure/Hayward Star Clear + C12002 cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard-what do you think about using a steel brush on fiberglass? not that the finish is good now what with all the scale

6. Back To Top    #6

sflake:

Assuming you are referring to calcium scale. Assuming you have satisfactorily completed the shock process, I would let FC come down to normal levels (4-8 ppm for CYA =50). In addition, your pH of 7 is a bit low. Once the FC level gets below 10 ppm, I would retest pH and get it up to the 7.2 - 7.4 range. Your TA appears to be fine-just keep an eye on the pH. If the pH quickly swings back below 7.2 then I would increase TA, but let it be for now.

Your current numbers (as well as my recommendations on pH) will result in an environment that is hostile to scale and any existing scale will gradually dissolve. The key word is gradually...as in the pace of a speeding glacier. When I moved in to our current house, the pool had a calcium ring at the water line. That calcium ring is now gone due to proper water management using the BBB method, however it took over a year for that to happen. There is still a faint ring in the spa at the water line and it is still fading after 3 years.

BTW, here is a great post from one of our Expert members on his battle with scale:
    Richard320's Progress on scale
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by sflake
    Richard-what do you think about using a steel brush on fiberglass? not that the finish is good now what with all the scale
    Oops, missed that. Probably not a good idea.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I just read the directions for Jack's Magic. the water parameters are:
    fc 1-3
    ph 7.0-7.4
    ta 80 or below
    ch 200-400
    cya below 70
    Tds below 1200

Anyone have success with Jack?
    I thought TDS was nothing to worry about? How to find out my levels?
    Do you think I should increase my calcium?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Sorry. I don't think there are any "magic bullets" for the scale removal. Following the advice of BoDarville and Richard320 is by far your best path.

Do not increase your calcium. As the scale slowly dissolve the calcium will increase on it's own in your testing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thats what I was thinking, thanks...wish me luck

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Some luck, but mostly perseverance and knowledge. Richard 320 is a great testimonial to that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by sflake
    I thought TDS was nothing to worry about?
    It isn't...TDS is meaningless by itself. Keep testing the individual parameters (FC, CC, pH, CYA, TA, CH) the way you have been doing.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Richard - does the original thread with your experience still exist? Can you point me toward it? Got a 404 error with the link in this comment. Thanks.
    25,000 gal. IG Pebble Built 9/2012
    Pentair Cartridge Filter CPP420
    Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed p/n 011018
    SWG Intellichlor IC40 In floor cleaner
    Taylor K2006

14. Back To Top    #14

Many, many links got broken with the original move to the new server (not the more recent downtime problems). They should get repaired via some sort of automatic process, but until that happens here is how I have been working around it. Hover your cursor over the link and see the URL for it which for the link for "My own experience" in Richard's post it is "http://www.troublefreepool.com/progress-on-scale-t38568.html". Do a Google search on TFP with the words for that thread so "progress on scale". You will then find this link which works and I believe is what Richard was linking to originally.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry in AZ View Post
    Richard - does the original thread with your experience still exist? Can you point me toward it? Got a 404 error with the link in this comment. Thanks.
    Progress on scale