Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure gauge on old Sta Rite filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Melbourne, Australia

Pressure gauge on old Sta Rite filter

The filter our pool is a Sta Rite sand filter, model number is w-9463005-1, and the pressure gauge is stuck on 25. I'm guessing this filter is really old since I can't find any information on it. Are gauges generic fit and can I just unscrew this one and replace it with a new one?
    Also, given it is likely very old, I've read about replacing sand. When the pool is balanced, it keeps it really clean but I notice that if I vacuum to the filter, then backwash, rinse and return to filter, the pool goes very cloudy. I backwash until the water though the glass sight bottle is clear then rinse for 10-20 seconds, then return to filter, but it will guarantee cloud the pool every time. Is any of this an indication that sand needs replacing, or should I be doing something else?
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Pressure gauge on old Sta Rite filter

Filters gauges here in the us are pretty standard at 1/4" npt but I am not sure about down under. I would guess they are.

Are you shutting off the pump before changing filter positions? Make sure you are.

You may need to rinse a little longer to remove the cloudiness.

Another possibility is your spider gasket could be worn out allowing stuff to bypass the filter on restart.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

You may need to rinse a little longer to remove the cloudiness.
    I completely agree. I have to rinse for at least a minute to resettle my sand bed and avoid a cloudy plume of dirty water back to the pool
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Pressure gauge on old Sta Rite filter, mine reads the sa

I have exactly the same vintage Sta-Rite model 9463005-1 high rate sand filter and the pressure gauge on the threaded cap also reads 25psig on a continuous basis.

I agree that I have not been able to find any mfr information on this old sand filter (late 1970s or early 1980s). Were they bought by Pentair?

This 30"diameter filter has a screw cap on top like a Triton with a Hayward Vari-Flo on the side pipes. I would like to screw open the cap but before I attempt it (no hex key) I would like to have a replacement O-ring and cap on hand.

Do any of you pool experts know specifically which web site can tell me about this filter for spare parts?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Houston, Texas

Pentair owns Sta-Rite. You may want to contact Pentair customer service for help finding parts.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!