Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: radiant sand filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

SW Ohio

radiant sand filter question

i am thinking about buying a 16 inch or 19 inch radiant sand filter for my intex 18x52 pool i have the 14 inch intex sand filter on it now with a 1/2 hp hayward pump which puts out 40 gpm, will my pump be better suited for the 16 or 19 inch radiant sand filter?. i know this filter will probably be overkill on my intex but i plan on going to a larger pool in the next couple of years, i have never heard of the brand and can't find any reviews on them to decide. i would lie to go with the 19 inch but i want to make sure my pump is up for the task........Mike ... nd-filters
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: radiant sand filter question

Is you current filter not working? That pump that comes with the 14 is pretty small. I am not sure it would properly backwash the 19" filter adequately.

If you are planning on upgrading in the future, I would pick a pump and filter that meets the future needs and not compromise the filter to match your current pump. If you are like me and do not know your future, then I would wait unless the current setup is broken.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.