Dripping from Skimmer

so... this evening, I was out BBQing in the yard, and heard a little drip. I walked over to the pool, and see a steady drip coming out of the skimmer's out/exit.

I really don't remember how I closed it - but I could swear there was a plug there, or the water was dropped below the skimmer?

Do I need to re-open before the official end of winter to take care of this?

if it helps, there are some picts of my pool before cover here: post444617.html#p444617

zea3 said:
You may need to pull the cover back on that side to see what is going on. You don't necessarily need to open the pool to fix it.

thanks - i poked around, and it looks like the gizmo (actually what it says on the thing) or the threads that it screws into are no good. i touched it and it popped right now. water started escaping, i quickly stuck it back in and semi-screwed - but now the drips is several drips. also - the color of the water is not clear.

am I toast? :oops:

If the hard freeze season is over in your area, you can go get a screw in plug to place in the skimmer opening until you are ready to open the pool. Most pool supply stores will have them, just ask for one the same size as your pipes. You can also try wrapping 3 rounds of teflon pipe tape on the threaded end of the gizmo and screw it back in.

As for the water just follow the shock process when you open and the water should be fine.

zea3 said:
If the hard freeze season is over in your area, you can go get a screw in plug to place in the skimmer opening until you are ready to open the pool. Most pool supply stores will have them, just ask for one the same size as your pipes. You can also try wrapping 3 rounds of teflon pipe tape on the threaded end of the gizmo and screw it back in.

As for the water just follow the shock process when you open and the water should be fine.

i think the deeper freeze is gone, but then again, they did mention 30's by weekend. that might be enough to cause the little amount of water in the skimmer to freeze up. I took your advice and got some teflon tape. used a large, flat rubber sink stopper to keep water from leaking until I got enough teflon on the gizmo. took a couple of times/rounds to get it thick enough to plug tightly.

i stuck a bucket under to see if it continues to drip. i'm guessing the liner wont dry out - but i'm worried how much has already dripped, and what that means for the ground below (can it cause a shift in the substrate that leads to a more complex issue)? I have no idea how long this has been going on.

thanks again for your help.

pwrstrk said:
If the threads on the gizmo are bad you could just get a new one. For next winter you could take a look at an Aquador. http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies ... oskco.html

the threads looked OK - i couldn't get a good look at the socket it's screwing into - my fear is all or part of the skimmer has damage. will need to wait till I open the pool to do a full assessment.

for next year, this aquador is a must. i had seen it before, but didn't know what works best. so far, aquador is what looks like a better winner to me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.