Single speed pump kwh

Mar 10, 2013
Phoenix
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade our current single speed pump, which works fine, to a 2speed or variable speed. I've had some people tell me it would be cheaper to just stick with my current pump until it fails but I'm a numbers guy so was hoping someone could help me work the math. I've been trying to find info on this but I haven't been able to find any info that didn't seem biased. What i need to know is the average kwh that a 1 hp single speed pump would draw per hour, the kwh that a 2 speed would draw on a low setting, and how many times a day a pool should be turned over. Thanks friends and have a great day.

Not all the info you want, but generally the low speed on a 2 speed motor is at 1/2 the flow rate and 1/4 the electricity of high speed (which is the same as a single speed pump). So on low speed you would have to run twice as long to move the same amount of water, but you would use 50% less energy.

There is no "requirement" as far as "turn-over", you just have to run your pump long enough to keep the pool water clean enough for your liking.

Some note that the skimming may not be as effective when running on low speed, so they have controllers to run on high for a bit and then low the rest of the time. You can also help by spacing the running on low out over the day ... say 3 separate 3-4 hours pump on times.

Also note that they may be times you when need to run on high speed anyway ... for a suction cleaner, higher solar heating efficiency, backwashing, etc.

Off the top of m head, my variable speed pump is reporting it's using less than 100W at the low range and more than 1200W at the top end.
I'm not sure if these are apple/apples comparisons for other pumps/speeds (or even how accurately the power consumption is reported). Let me know if you want a specific number for a specific speed and I'm happy to test, it's only a few mouse clicks on the iAqualink.

1500 watts is typical for a 1 HP pump, though they vary quite a bit higher and lower. Typical turnovers might be 0.75 turnover per day, though it again varies quite a bit. jblizzle has the two speed math right, half the water moved at 1/4 the watts, typically run twice as long for the same total water moved at half the watts.

From what this website shows, a 1 HP single speed pool pump motor will use 192 KWH of electricity per month if run 6 hours per day.

http://www.myconserve101.com/energySavi ... Pumps.aspx

So, if you are paying 12 cents per KWH for electriciy like we do here in Florida, it will cost you $23.04 per month to run the pump 6 hours per day.

Doing the math backwards, it looks like a 1 HP pool pump motor uses 1.07 KWH of electricity per hour of operation

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! JasonLion can I ask is the 1500 watts per hour of the pump running? That's what I was assuming but just wanted to clarify.

Also how long would a typical variable speed pump last? Say an ok one around $1000 or so? Thanks again!

I'm doing some work on my pool and have run the pump at a few speeds this morning. Not that I doubted it... but the rule of thumb above seems right on.

3000 RPM 1500W
2000 RPM 450W
1000 RPM 75W

and also yes from above... watts is a rate of power use, watt-hours is an amount of power (we pay the power company for amounts of power). To calculate watt-hours multiply watts times hours run. (to convert to kilowatt-hours divide by 1000, eg knock off the last 3 digits).

A side conversation has been moved here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.