Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Single speed pump kwh

1. Back To Top    #1

Single speed pump kwh

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade our current single speed pump, which works fine, to a 2speed or variable speed. I've had some people tell me it would be cheaper to just stick with my current pump until it fails but I'm a numbers guy so was hoping someone could help me work the math. I've been trying to find info on this but I haven't been able to find any info that didn't seem biased. What i need to know is the average kwh that a 1 hp single speed pump would draw per hour, the kwh that a 2 speed would draw on a low setting, and how many times a day a pool should be turned over. Thanks friends and have a great day.
    12k kidney shaped inground plaster pool, single speed pump with no timer, sand filter, and barracuda scrubber guy.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Single speed pump kwh

Not all the info you want, but generally the low speed on a 2 speed motor is at 1/2 the flow rate and 1/4 the electricity of high speed (which is the same as a single speed pump). So on low speed you would have to run twice as long to move the same amount of water, but you would use 50% less energy.

There is no "requirement" as far as "turn-over", you just have to run your pump long enough to keep the pool water clean enough for your liking.

Some note that the skimming may not be as effective when running on low speed, so they have controllers to run on high for a bit and then low the rest of the time. You can also help by spacing the running on low out over the day ... say 3 separate 3-4 hours pump on times.

Also note that they may be times you when need to run on high speed anyway ... for a suction cleaner, higher solar heating efficiency, backwashing, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Off the top of m head, my variable speed pump is reporting it's using less than 100W at the low range and more than 1200W at the top end.
    I'm not sure if these are apple/apples comparisons for other pumps/speeds (or even how accurately the power consumption is reported). Let me know if you want a specific number for a specific speed and I'm happy to test, it's only a few mouse clicks on the iAqualink.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

1500 watts is typical for a 1 HP pump, though they vary quite a bit higher and lower. Typical turnovers might be 0.75 turnover per day, though it again varies quite a bit. jblizzle has the two speed math right, half the water moved at 1/4 the watts, typically run twice as long for the same total water moved at half the watts.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

From what this website shows, a 1 HP single speed pool pump motor will use 192 KWH of electricity per month if run 6 hours per day.

http://www.myconserve101.com/energySavi ... Pumps.aspx

So, if you are paying 12 cents per KWH for electriciy like we do here in Florida, it will cost you $23.04 per month to run the pump 6 hours per day.

Doing the math backwards, it looks like a 1 HP pool pump motor uses 1.07 KWH of electricity per hour of operation
    9,000 gal. in-ground concrete pool
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump and motor (1 HP)
    Pentair CC100 cartridge filter (100 sq ft)
    Zodiac MX8 suction pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

1500 watts is much more realistic for a 1 HP in-ground pump, based on CEC simulated real world testing of a variety of pumps. Above ground pumps use less electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! JasonLion can I ask is the 1500 watts per hour of the pump running? That's what I was assuming but just wanted to clarify.

Also how long would a typical variable speed pump last? Say an ok one around $1000 or so? Thanks again!
    12k kidney shaped inground plaster pool, single speed pump with no timer, sand filter, and barracuda scrubber guy.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by stubbus
    Thank you guys so much for the feedback! JasonLion can I ask is the 1500 watts per hour of the pump running? That's what I was assuming but just wanted to clarify.
    1500 watts is what the pump draws. So, in one hour, it uses 1500 watt-hours, or 1.5 kwh.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm doing some work on my pool and have run the pump at a few speeds this morning. Not that I doubted it... but the rule of thumb above seems right on.

3000 RPM 1500W
    2000 RPM 450W
    1000 RPM 75W

and also yes from above... watts is a rate of power use, watt-hours is an amount of power (we pay the power company for amounts of power). To calculate watt-hours multiply watts times hours run. (to convert to kilowatt-hours divide by 1000, eg knock off the last 3 digits).

A side conversation has been moved here.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa