Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a good solar cover that lasts longer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern California

Is there a good solar cover that lasts longer?

I've tried various thicknesses of solar covers. The places that sell them rate them for how many years of warranty you get. It seems to be that no matter what the thickness, I'm lucky to get more than one season out of them (in So Cal I might get March - November as a season). I saw on another thread someone discussing if it's worth paying for the extra thickness, and I believe the answer was no.

So are these things just destined to fall apart every year and I should just buy the cheap stuff to save money? Or is there any better material out there?
    Southern California • 30K gal • Pebble • Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed • Hayward DE6020 filter
    Goldline Controls AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) with Sense & Dispense Total Chemistry (acid)
    Inter-Fab G-Force slide • 4 Jandy deck jets • 1 lion head spout • Paramount Debris Canister • Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Dolphin Premier Cleaner • Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Is there a good solar cover that lasts longer?

The general concensus is just as you've discovered. The cheapest ones are usually the best investment. They don't last proportionally longer compared to the amount you pay for them nor for the greater thickness. Might as well get the cheapest one you can find and replace it every year.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit