Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to replace all above ground plumbing...

1. Back To Top    #1

About to replace all above ground plumbing...

I have a 17 year old pool. I have gotten to the point where I think I need to replace all of the above ground plumbing near my pump, filter, and heater. First, a handful of small leaks have started in some of the joint areas. Second, most of the "fins" on the 5 valves have broken off.

Who is the right subcontractor to do this? Is it a plumber who specializes in pools? Is it a pool maintenance guy? Does anyone have a recommendation for the Austin, TX area?

Also, does anyone have an idea on what something like this would cost?

I've included a crude photo of the equipment area near my pool.

[attachment=0:l96xx7ia]Smaller.JPG[/attachment:l96xx7ia]

Thanks in advance for any insights!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    35k gal in-ground with spill over spa. 2hp shared pump. Polaris w/ booster. DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to replace all above ground plumbing...

I'd say either a plumber with some pool experience or a pool plumbing guy. Either should be able to rework the plumbing without issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What "fins" are you talking about? I do not see 5 valves in the photo.

If you are talking about the handles on PVC ball valves breaking off, that is pretty common. Make sure you use actual pool valves (instead of the cheap ball valves) when you get the plumbing re-done.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

jblizzle - thanks for the message. The "fins" I refer to are the handles on the ball valve. I took a side photo of the area, but you can see what appears to be gray PVC near the ground in 3 places. Those are the existing valves and the handles are obscured in the photo. Thanks for the recommendation of getting high quality valves. That was already at the top of my list. The marginal increase in overall cost will definitely be worth it.
    35k gal in-ground with spill over spa. 2hp shared pump. Polaris w/ booster. DE filter.