Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mice in bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Mice in bottom of pool

After being shut down for 3 months, I went to skim all the leaves in the pool bottom today and found a floater. No big surprise, we get a few each year and I get them out quickly. However, I was really surprised to find 6 mice mixed in with the leaves on the bottom. No idea how long they have been there, but the bodies were intact and maybe a little bloated. I'm sure my levels are way off since I haven't touched the pool since shut down. I'm dealing with the ph first since we have hard water out here in NM. Then I'm going to start shocking the heck out of it. I've read the CDC memo on dead critters in the pool and hyperchlorination.
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimmin ... pools.html

It's 19000 gal with an attached hot tub, waterfalls, and salt water setup with a Goldline Aqua-Rite chlorinator. Still in winter mode with air in the lines. I've started to add acid to get the ph leveled. I was going to shock it with Power Powder Plus a few times before even starting it up for the first run. Any suggestions? First time in 7 years I've dealt with a mouse problem like this. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mice in bottom of pool

A better question would be.. "why are mice committing suicide in your pool?" Lol...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

No doubt LMAO

4. Back To Top    #4

I would follow the suggested shock process in Pool School and make sure you pass the OCLT before you quit. That should take care of anything in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by vipergts
    I've read the CDC memo on dead critters in the pool and hyperchlorination.
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimmin ... pools.html
    Interesting link. I pray that I never find a dead calf in my pool.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

6. Back To Top    #6

Watched a coyote run across our snow cover safety cover before I got the fence up. Now it just goes around.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Bama. I'll get it tuned right.