Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Set of Results

1. Back To Top    #1

First Set of Results

Hey Guys! I just ran my first set of numbers this past weekend on our new pool. What gets me is that I am getting significantly different numbers than the pool store

Here are my numbers from the TF 100 test kit:
    FC 9.0
    CC 0.0
    TA 50
    CYA 65
    PH 7.2

Pool store numbers:
    FC 6.4
    CC 0.0
    TA 0.0
    CYA 14
    Copper 0.4
    Phosphates too high to tell.

First, I know my FC is way high, but I am trying to get it down. I had two tablets in the floater and will only replace it with one. I am using tablets until my 30 days are up before switching over to SWG.

Any idea why there CYA test would be so out of whack? I watched them perform the tests using a computer color analyzer thingimajob.

Also, Do I need to be concerned with the copper or phosphates? They, of course, tried to sell me some snake oil, but I wanted to check with the gurus first.

Thanks
    15.7K, IG Sunstone Pearl, 2 - Skimmers, 6-Returns, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 580 SF Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 280, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Del Ozone EC-2, 10' Diameter Sunken Swim Up Bar With Palapa (built in Kegerator set at 27o), 2 - Jandy LED Lights, Weeping wall with 5 returns, Bubbler in Tanning Ledge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Set of Results

Oh, one more thing. Since their numbers are so much different than mine, I went ahead and ordered the copper test kit from TF Testkits. just to verify the numbers.
    15.7K, IG Sunstone Pearl, 2 - Skimmers, 6-Returns, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 580 SF Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 280, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Del Ozone EC-2, 10' Diameter Sunken Swim Up Bar With Palapa (built in Kegerator set at 27o), 2 - Jandy LED Lights, Weeping wall with 5 returns, Bubbler in Tanning Ledge

3. Back To Top    #3

Trust your results and ignore the pool store results. As it happens the "computer color analyzer thingimajob" is no indication of quality results, and instead tends to suggest less reliable results, especially for the CYA test which is difficult to do electronically.

On the CYA test, make sure the black dot completely disappears, so there is no sign it was ever there even if you stare at it for several seconds.

If your CYA level is actually anywhere near 65, then FC is at a good level, a tiny bit high but not a big deal.

TA and PH are both a little low, though with fresh plaster they should both come up on their own.

Copper at 0.4 is just high enough to start to worry about. However they could easily be wrong and copper at 0.4 on a fairly recent fill seems quite unlikely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason. I will wait for the test kit to come in and see for my self. They seemed most concerned about the phosphates. If that test was correct, I don't know how they could have gotten so high so quickly.

5. Back To Top    #5

They are concerned about phosphates so they can sell you junk you don't need. Just ignore it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Some areas put phosphates in the tap water to reduce pipe corrosion. Phosphates are harmless, ignore them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Well my Taylor copper test kit arrived today from TFtestkits. I ran the test twice with the same results....0 copper.

Go figure. The pool company test was bogus after all...I bet the phosphate test is wrong as well.

8. Back To Top    #8

Phosphates don't matter. If their test is right or wrong, it doesn't matter. As long as you keep the pool properly balanced, you will not have problems. In fact, just wipe the word "phosphates" out of your memory. That will make pool care a little easier.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    Phosphates don't matter. If their test is right or wrong, it doesn't matter. As long as you keep the pool properly balanced, you will not have problems. In fact, just wipe the word "phosphates" out of your memory. That will make pool care a little easier.
    Thanks for the advice. As a new virgin pool owner it is hard to ignore the constant stream of Barbara Streisand coming from the PB and Pool store. Thank God I have this place!

I have been following the advice from this forum and have crystal clear pool so far!!!