It is green but circulating and...

Oct 10, 2011
cant see much improvement in the day it has been running. I brought it to shock and have been running the pump for a day but not much improvement visually. Brushed the whole pool after the pump started and backwashed this morning since the flow had decreased. That got the flow going stronger again. How long should this take to begin to see some definitive clearing? Its a 27 foot round pool. Thanks Jim

I am following the procedure outlined in the sticky. I was just curious what I should expect in the way of a timeline. It looks pretty bad green but I may be seeing some improvement. Its hard to tell though at this point. I intend to keep it at shock level. The wife estimated the amount of chlorine needed to bring it to shock but it somehow went quite a bit higher than intended. Hope that is ok but from the looks of the water I dont think you could have too much in it. We didnt have this problem last year but had a different situation for cover that kept it much cleaner from debris.

Keep at it! If at all possibly check FC levels every two hours and bump FC a few ppm above shock level before going to bed. Consistency in ensuring FC levels are high enough vs CYA level and 24/7 filtering is what makes the process as short as possible. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algaecide won't help at all. As long as you keep it at shock level the filter is the limiting factor. Floc won't help at this stage either. It rarely helps at all, and then only at the very end of the shock process.

I wouldn't do anything more than you're doing now. Just keep the FC up and clean the filter as needed.

We measured the CYA at 40. I have not tested the chlorine today as I am sick and not feeling up to it. There is no change in the looks of the pool as of yet though. My shock level should be less than what I have it at now(FC=25). Dont know how I got it that high but I guess the wife was off on some calculation. I suppose more chlorine than nessary is OK but it does not deem to be going down any at all. It is a sand filter which I know is not the best but it is what I have. The sand filter seems to only get a bit cloged up at the end of a 24 hour period and requires a backwash. Doesnt seem too effective in filtering these suspended particles out. I think it is passing many straight through. The sand is only 2 1/2 seasons old. Could it need replaced already?

I cant see the bottom to vac it. Would it be smart to stop the filter an let the suspended particles settle and then vacuum them to waste?

Your sand or your filter is not the issue. I think you need to give it more time. Keep your chlorine up around 16ppm or so. Since you don't know how the chlorine got to 25ppm, I don't think you can accurately judge how much has been consumed.....it may have been quite a bit higher than you think.

I think you just need to keep doing what you are doing (but measuring and dosing a bit more carefully) and give it some time. You should see SOME improvement each day.

fishcrazy said:
We measured the CYA at 40.
How are you measuring the CYA - is this with Taylor kit or TFP kit?
What is your source of Chlorine?

fishcrazy said:
I have not tested the chlorine today as I am sick and not feeling up to it.
Very sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.
fishcrazy said:
There is no change in the looks of the pool as of yet though. My shock level should be less than what I have it at now(FC=25). Dont know how I got it that high but I guess the wife was off on some calculation.
How did she calculate this? Was she using Poolcalculator.com? If so maybe the volume estimate or the Percentage strength of the chlorine source was inaccurate.

fishcrazy said:
I suppose more chlorine than nessary is OK but it does not deem to be going down any at all.
25 is quite a bit high. The max typically recommended is around 24ppm which is the Mustard Algae level. More typically the site recommends around 16ppm as you saw in the CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School. How are you measuring the chlorine? Are you seeing any CC's?

fishcrazy said:
It is a sand filter which I know is not the best but it is what I have. The sand filter seems to only get a bit cloged up at the end of a 24 hour period and requires a backwash.
Sand is fine. How high is the starting pressure vs. the pressure you end up with just before backwashing? And what does it go down to? How is the flow from the returns?

fishcrazy said:
Doesnt seem too effective in filtering these suspended particles out. I think it is passing many straight through. The sand is only 2 1/2 seasons old. Could it need replaced already?
First - my impression from this site is that filtering is how you clear up suspended particles but it does little to help while the algae is still growing. What seems to be the case is that you filter because as the algae dies off the filtering will start helping to remove the particles and the algae won't be replicating and replacing them. Sand is actually easier to use because it is slow and doesn't get clogged quickly. Filter sand also doesn't seem to wear out. Sand filters do however sometimes need cleaning beyond the backwashing process. Read this topic for more details on how to clean your sand filter and get it running in top shape.

fishcrazy said:
I cant see the bottom to vac it. Would it be smart to stop the filter an let the suspended particles settle and then vacuum them to waste?
Unless you suspect sharp objects that you worry could damage the liner as you vacuum I think it's fine. Do make sure you are using the skimmer basket or inline leaf cannister to catch things before they could clog your suction lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.