Type of Sacrificial Anode for SWG Pool

NomDePlume

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 24, 2012
Central NJ
Hello,
Been researching this topic on TFP for a while and Googling, but I seem to go in circle.. so reaching out for help!

Situation: while closing our pool the technician pointed out the oxidation on our ladders at the contact with the anchors (turning black). He said we have a pool with SWG and stainless steel ladders in Aluminium anchors. Anchors should have been Brass.
He went on to recommend installing a sacrificial anode. I was going to get a Pool Tool 2" Inline Zinc Anode 104-D.

But then I read:
zinc-anode-in-a-salt-pool-to-prevent-heater-erosion-t16582.html
Where is says: "You should also make sure there is no aluminum connected to that same bonding wire (if there is, then the sacrificial anode should be magnesium, not zinc)"

We have our ladders anchors in Aluminium bonded to the pool... Now this is where I started going in circle...

Any help appreciated....

Thanks guys

I just corrected that old post and thank you for bringing it up. It turns out I was wrong and zinc can often be used to protect aluminum due to its position in the galvanic series. I was fooled into thinking it wouldn't be as good since the standard reduction potential of zinc is -0.7618V, aluminum is -1.662V, and magnesium is -2.372V. But in the galvanic series, the aniodic index for zinc is 1.25, aluminum is 0.90-0.95, and magnesium is 1.75. This difference may be due to the environment used for the measurements where the galvanic series is often using seawater as the electrolyte and in subtleties of alloy composition of the zinc anode and the aluminum it is protecting. When using zinc, it should be mil-spec zinc which is not perfectly pure and makes the zinc oxide slough off more easily so additional zinc will be exposed to the water (or moist soil).

I know that my pool builder has used zinc (not magnesium) sacrificial anodes to protect the aluminum header bars in vanishing-style automatic electric pool covers, especially in saltier pools such as those with SWGs.

Your using magnesium is fine, however.

msumoose said:
I like the pool tool you mentioned. Easy install and maintenance. I have installed my share....
Yes, I was going to go for the Pool Tool anode, seemed easy enough to install, but from reading about this type of anode, some people are saying it introduces Zinc in your pool water, so I opted for buying a boat Zinc anode and going to bond and bury it.

Just google "pool tool" and it will come up. Or be cheap like me and make your own. I just posted a thread on it. It is bonded to the water if it is wired up but if you are looking to meet the bonding requirement for your pool water, then no it won't work because the area is insufficient (less than 9 sq. in.). If you have a bonded stainless steel ladder or lights in your pool, then you likely meet the requirement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.