Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Type of Sacrificial Anode for SWG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Type of Sacrificial Anode for SWG Pool

Hello,
    Been researching this topic on TFP for a while and Googling, but I seem to go in circle.. so reaching out for help!

Situation: while closing our pool the technician pointed out the oxidation on our ladders at the contact with the anchors (turning black). He said we have a pool with SWG and stainless steel ladders in Aluminium anchors. Anchors should have been Brass.
    He went on to recommend installing a sacrificial anode. I was going to get a Pool Tool 2" Inline Zinc Anode 104-D.

But then I read:
    zinc-anode-in-a-salt-pool-to-prevent-heater-erosion-t16582.html
    Where is says: "You should also make sure there is no aluminum connected to that same bonding wire (if there is, then the sacrificial anode should be magnesium, not zinc)"

We have our ladders anchors in Aluminium bonded to the pool... Now this is where I started going in circle...

Any help appreciated....

Thanks guys
    21'x41' Mountain Lake, Filter Pentair TA60D, Pump Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 hp, SWG Pentair IC-40, light IntelliBrite 5g LED, Liner 27 mil Dynastie/Blue Granite, 2 main drains, 2 multidirectional hydrostream return inlets, 2 wall skimmers , 2 in-floor cleaning heads, Heating 500 sq Techno-Solis Solar Panels, Hayward Aqua Solar control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Type of Sacrificial Anode for SWG Pool

A lot of water heater anodes are magnesium. You can take a long one and attach the bond wire to it and it'll work as well as any other.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply.. Magnesium it is
    21'x41' Mountain Lake, Filter Pentair TA60D, Pump Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 hp, SWG Pentair IC-40, light IntelliBrite 5g LED, Liner 27 mil Dynastie/Blue Granite, 2 main drains, 2 multidirectional hydrostream return inlets, 2 wall skimmers , 2 in-floor cleaning heads, Heating 500 sq Techno-Solis Solar Panels, Hayward Aqua Solar control

4. Back To Top    #4

I just corrected that old post and thank you for bringing it up. It turns out I was wrong and zinc can often be used to protect aluminum due to its position in the galvanic series. I was fooled into thinking it wouldn't be as good since the standard reduction potential of zinc is -0.7618V, aluminum is -1.662V, and magnesium is -2.372V. But in the galvanic series, the aniodic index for zinc is 1.25, aluminum is 0.90-0.95, and magnesium is 1.75. This difference may be due to the environment used for the measurements where the galvanic series is often using seawater as the electrolyte and in subtleties of alloy composition of the zinc anode and the aluminum it is protecting. When using zinc, it should be mil-spec zinc which is not perfectly pure and makes the zinc oxide slough off more easily so additional zinc will be exposed to the water (or moist soil).

I know that my pool builder has used zinc (not magnesium) sacrificial anodes to protect the aluminum header bars in vanishing-style automatic electric pool covers, especially in saltier pools such as those with SWGs.

Your using magnesium is fine, however.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I like the pool tool you mentioned. Easy install and maintenance. I have installed my share....
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by msumoose
    I like the pool tool you mentioned. Easy install and maintenance. I have installed my share....
    Yes, I was going to go for the Pool Tool anode, seemed easy enough to install, but from reading about this type of anode, some people are saying it introduces Zinc in your pool water, so I opted for buying a boat Zinc anode and going to bond and bury it.

7. Back To Top    #7

I realize this is an old thread, but would using the "pool tool" described above be a way to bond the water?
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

Just google "pool tool" and it will come up. Or be cheap like me and make your own. I just posted a thread on it. It is bonded to the water if it is wired up but if you are looking to meet the bonding requirement for your pool water, then no it won't work because the area is insufficient (less than 9 sq. in.). If you have a bonded stainless steel ladder or lights in your pool, then you likely meet the requirement.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks!
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG