Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium build-up prevention.

1. Back To Top    #1
    busyredhed

Calcium build-up prevention.

We have a new pool(6 weeks old) and my calcium reads 270. We have a problem with Calcium build-up in the pool. My ph is right at 7.2 but last week it was 7.8. My alkalinity was at 180 when I took over maintenance from my PB. It is now at 110.
    I now have calcium spots on some my tile and pebble fina and I have a shoeprint coming through due to the calcium depositing on it(Plasterers came out right after pool build to sand the calcium off of the shoe prints. I had a lot more of them). I was told then that they would come back if we didn't watch our chemicals to keep Calcium from depositing.
    We can just sand the shoe print, but how do I keep the calcium from depositing on my surfaces?
    Could it just be that my numbers were off when my PB was maintaining the pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

Test your water, the go to the pool calculator here:

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Fill in your information and look at the bottom for CSI

You want to ensure that this number is between -.6 and +.6
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3
    Welcome to TFP!

Your current numbers are fairly good. But the older numbers you quote are approaching scaling. The key thing is to keep PH at 7.8 or lower. Lowering TA, as you have been doing, will also help. If you allow the PH to go up above 8.0 you are very likely to have additional problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    busyredhed
    Thank you for the help. I'll keep on top of it. At this point, I am testing every day.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by busyredhed
    Thank you for the help. I'll keep on top of it. At this point, I am testing every day.
    This is very common with new plaster. As it cures it gets easier.