Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bicarb start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bicarb start?

I accidentally learned about this Bicarb start last night while researching salt pool start up and how long to wait before adding salt etc! Now I am wanting to do it but I am 99% sure my builder won't know what I am talking about since it seems this is not used regularly.

After reading about it, it makes sense to me and seems totally worth a little extra trouble up front.

I am willing to get the barrell and try to do it myself but am concerned he won't let me due to warranty issues and him not being familiar with it etc.

We will have a Gemstone qtz finish.

Any thoughts on this situation?

Thanks in advance! KIM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bicarb start?

It is certainly worth bringing up. If you can convince the plaster people to do a bicarb start then great. But if you can't get them on board I wouldn't attempt it on your own without their cooperation. In my book, there is too much room for working at cross purposes and losing your warranty to risk doing it without their cooperation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason- Thanks.. I will talk to them about it and see what they say.

4. Back To Top    #4

Knowing what the pH, TA, and CH is of the tap water would determine how critical this issue is for the quartz finish, and what the options are for a good start and result.

5. Back To Top    #5

onbalance- Thanks so much. Can I take a sample to the pool store for that? I dont have my test kit yet. We may plaster end of next week.... Thanks so much, KIM

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you order a kit yet? Dave would have the TF100 to you in a couple days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Not yet but I will tomorrow. Things are just moving faster on my pool than I expected!

8. Back To Top    #8

on balance- I took by water to Leslies to get an idea...

ph 7.6
    TA 190
    cya-0
    calcium hardness 120
    tds-500
    copper/iron 0/0

What do ya think?

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you should get yourself a test kit as results from pools stores have proven to be unreliable ... would have thought the TF100 would have been delivered by now.

I am not even sure how those #s make sense. We do not look at TDS, but I thought it was a combination of CYA, CH, and other things ... seems odd to me that it is so much higher than CYA + CH.

At least they seem to have gotten the CYA right since this is a new fill and should be zero unless you have added any CYA.
    If the TA is right, you are going to have to work on lowering it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Texgirl, your tap water is pretty decent. A bicarb start would still be somewhat beneficial, and help to reduce any plaster dust. But if the plasterer won't go for it, you will have to make decision. Some plasterers do an acid type program on quartz pools. I would encourage the plasterer to skip that program and just let it fill with water without doing that. That would be much better. Also, if they don't trowel a lot of cream over the top of the quartz aggregate, then the color of the quartz will show well and a pool cleaner will simply polish the finish over time and improve the final color. Once the pool is full, you could immediately add some bicarb and calcium (only when the pH is below 8.0) to properly balance during start-up period. Oh, and some borax or boric acid. That would be the second best thing to do.

Jblizzle, the TDS looks fairly accurate, which also includes sodium, chlorides, bicarbonate, magnesium, etc.

11. Back To Top    #11

on balance- thanks so much. I also got my tf100 kit and I will test my water again myself to make sure it is close to what leslies said! I will find out monday how they do the plaster as we are plastering tuesday! Things are moving fast over here!

So, just to make sure, if they don't acid wash, it won't really be a problem, it will be prettier with time but be better on plaster long run. I am fine with that! I will let you know what they say.

Thanks so much, KIM

12. Back To Top    #12

What did you end up doing? I am interested in the bicarb startup too, my pool will be plastered in about 2 weeks
    26,000 gallon gunite IGP with 50 sq ft Spa, Jandy VS FloPro 2hp Pump, Jandy DEV48 Filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 Controller, RayPak R406A Heater, Polaris 380 Cleaner, completed April 2013