Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to calculate gallons for lagoon pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How to calculate gallons for lagoon pool

I have a Pacific vinyl lagoon pool which measures 17x27x37 at 7 1/2 feet deep. Anyone have a clue how I can figure how many gallons of water are in the pool?
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to calculate gallons for lagoon pool

There are lots of ways, all of which are a little approximate but still good enough for almost any purpose. One good approach is to use average width and average length: establish two axes at right angles to each other and measure the width and length along those two axes at numerous positions, then average each set and calculate with the average width and length as if it was a square pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I get about 20,000 gallons but that's just a down and dirty guestimate.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I think my pool contractor stated it would be about 24k gallons but that seems like a lot doesn't?
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool builders seem to overestimate the volumes a lot. I guess a larger volume of water sounds better.

If you're using the Pool Calc to add chems you can enter the gallons in it and add what it recommends and see how close it comes out over many additions. That will tell you if you're in the ballpark.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit