Preemptive pump replacement for energy savings...

Mar 10, 2013
Hello - long time lurker, first time poster. I've enjoyed reading all the great threads here - I can't even begin to describe my aggravation with my local pool supply store when they sell me chemicals that don't do what they say they will do. <g>

So we bought our house a few years ago - our first with a pool. The learning has been, well, learning. The pool was installed in 2003, so the components are about 10 years old now. Last year, the Hayward 1HP single speed pump started screaming, so I had the bearings replaced for $100 bucks or something and it is whisper quiet now.

My pool specs: In-ground 18' x 36' with a vinyl liner. Hayward 1HP single speed pump through a sand filter. The pool operates on a Carefree Clearwater Ion filter which seemed to work great the first couple years. It took some tweaking to avoid copper staining the white stairs. I learned that PH- will take the color off but achieving balance is much more preferable. After reading these forums I bought a good test kit that includes the little blue color tube for making sure the pool ions are correctly balanced. It made a world of difference.

Our pool varies from about 3' for 1/3 of the length then slopes steeply to about 8' at the deep end - so maybe 25,000 gallons (?). The pool has a single drain/return in the deep end and a single skimmer, and three circulating jets (2 main and 1 stair cleaner). The piping is pretty basic (I think) with about a 10' run from the single skimmer to the filter. I have no idea how long the runs are to the jets, but it can't be that complex.

We use a Tiger Shark pool cleaner that I love (washable cartridges yay!). No vacuum pumps or stuff..glad for that.

I'm looking to replace the current 1HP single speed pump with either a variable or 2-speed pump to maximize my energy savings. We've become uber-energy conscious since this past winter we installed a whole house 7.5 kW solar array on our roof to largely offset our power bill (our house is 100% electric). So we installed a wood stove, have changed to nearly all LED lights, and have overall just become much more energy aware (computers and TVs get turned off when not in use, etc..etc..)

ssystem1.jpg

bluepool1.jpg

So before we open the pool this spring, I would like to replace the Hayward pump with something much more efficient. We don't run the pool pump very much I think comparatively - I don't know if that is because of the ion system or that the Tiger Shark does such a good job of cleaning.

I'm just starting to get educated on variable speed versus two-speed, but I'm not sure which one is for us. We live in Charlotte - and pay 9.29 cents per KwH through Duke Energy. From the threads I'm reading here it seems like variable speed might not be worth it when one considers the complexity, pump life duration, and the time it takes for the return on investment for the higher cost/complexity.

I guess what I'm wondering is - is it a 1 for 1 exchange if I change the pump? Meaning, I currently have a 1HP (240v I believe), so is it fair to assume a 1HP two-speed or VS pump would be adequate? Also, considering the (impeller?) and debris catching thingy where you prime the pump (sorry about my lack of terminology) are now also 10 years old, should I buy a whole pump+strainer assembly or just the pump motor? And is there any consensus on the most power efficient pump manufacturer?

When I initially started Googling for information - EcoDrive came up, and some further research seems to indicate they use a lot of fluffy terms and claims but they might not have the chops to back up their great marketing. I like Hayward just because it seems to have some name brand support behind it.

So..there you go. Sorry to have so much to write for my first post, but I can appreciate the knowledge and experience here, so before I go off making a half cocked decision I'd like to get educated a bit.

Regards,
BeachAV8R

Well, the simplest answer to your lengthy question is to just replace the motor with a matching sfhp (service factor * Horsepower) 2-speed motor. Pump wet ends last a long time and are easily repaired.

Which test kit do you have?

Are you using any residual sanitizer in the pool. If you aren't, just realize that there's no protection from person to person transmission and the kill times are way too long to be beneficial.

The two best variable speed pumps out at the moment are the Pentair IntelliFlo and the Hayward EcoStar, though neither one is likely to pay back their initial investment unless your electric rates are above about $0.20/kWh. A two speed pump will get you 70%-90% of the savings at a far lower up front cost.

beachav8r:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Jason's typing faster than I am this morning, but since I have it queued up...

Since your primary objective in replacing your current pump is to save energy and, given your kWh cost of $0.0929, I would simply replace the motor with a 2-speed with a matching sfhp (service factor * Horsepower) as Bama suggested. Depending on how you use the pump, you will likely break even within a year, maybe less.

While variable-speed pumps offer more flexibility in terms of speeds, your electric rates would have to be around $0.20 per kWh before a VS pump would make sense from an energy savings / cost-benefit standpoint (assuming normal retail pump prices).

Bama Rambler said:
Which test kit do you have?

Are you using any residual sanitizer in the pool. If you aren't, just realize that there's no protection from person to person transmission and the kill times are way too long to be beneficial.

I use plain ole' Clorox bleach.

The test kit I use from Carefree Clearwater:

clearwater.JPG

I've also put up a sign by the pool: Ebola carriers must shower before entering pool! :wink:

Regards,
BeachAV8R

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sounds like a two-speed motor just bolted on the end of the current assembly is the way to go. Any recommendations on a a manufacturer as far as reliability and quality?

Regards,
BeachAV8R

I'm sure I'll have more questions over the years. Glad to be here. I'm guessing we will need a new pool liner in a couple years since the one in there is showing signs of deterioration. Also would love to do something like concrete stamping around the pool at some point. Always more projects..

Regards,
BeachAV8R

beachav8r,

Check out ecopoolpumps.com. They have a good comparison sheet for a lot of the pumps. Of course they are trying to sell the ecopump. Poolexress sells the ecopump and timers. A good two speed motor is the A.O. smith Centurian B2982 (1 hp). 7.4 amps on high, 1.4 on low. Sells for $323 with free shipping at poolsupplyworld.com.

smithpod

smithpod, the EcoPump is a two speed pump and not even close to the same league as the IntelliFlo or EcoStar pumps. Their comparison chart is also rather misleading as they use real world numbers on their own pump but spec sheet worst case numbers for all of the other brands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes there are more efficient motors but you also have to look at the ROI. Also your evironment makes a difference. I live in Florida and am on salt water so electronic devices don't last very long. I couldn't see paying the extra money for a variable drive but that's just my situation. Where I live, electric is at .105 per killowat.

smithpod

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.