Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
I recently tried to fire up my heater (Pentair Minimax NT 400) and the blower never started.. eventually I got a blower error.

I removed the blower fan to look for obstructions (the motor was getting warm) and low and behold the fan wheel squirrel cage was rusted and pretty much disintegrated!!!

I removed the rusted parts of the wheel and the base plate spun smoothly. I started the heater and the fan motor spins! Yea!

It seems Pentair only sells a blower assembly (motor + fan wheel + enclosure ) and pool stores have them starting about $350. Since I know my motor is good, does anyone sell just the fan wheel?

Some google searches point to a Fasco 1-6143, but the picture doesn't look right (which may just be a stock photo, since it doesn't seem to match the description). Also, most places that seem to sell it ($20-$50) don't seem to sell retail. (minimum quantities, request a quote, etc)

Is that the right part? Anyone ever replace one?

Robert

Why would I regret it? $50 vs $350? Even if it lasts a year it's worth it. If it doesn't fit and I can't return it, probably still worth the gamble.

(I only use the heater a few times a year.. shouldn't have put in the spa)

Well then give it a shot and let us know how it works. The one you listed above, Fasco 1-6143 Single Inlet Blower Wheel - 1-6143, is of the right dimensions. Try it out.

Well, Paul.. you're right... I regret buying the cage fan. :)

I paid about $40 for a Fasco 1-6143 and it is an exact match. (size, pitch, etc) *yea*
Unfortunately, I've been unable to remove the old one from the motor shaft! After being unable to get any bite with the hex wrench, I even tried a screw extractor (reverse drill bit)..... it won't budge! I suspect the heat or rust welded it on!

If anyone is interested, I'll attach a picture.

Now for the worse news... when looking closer at the unit, what I thought was just some signs of condensation *is* a slow leak in the heat exchanger. If I close the valve leading to the heater, the ground stays dry. (there is never a puddle, just some discolored concrete) The igniter is also shot.

So, should I spend $350 for a new blower/fan + $75 or so for an igniter and keep the valve closed when I'm not using the heater? (I only use it a few times a year) Will leaving the heat exchanger empty prevent further damage or make things worse?

Another option is forget the heater... There are more important things for me to spend $2k on considering how infrequently we use the heater.

I'm so disappointed.

Robert

Attachments

• rusted_fan.jpg
    rusted_fan.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 129
rmeden said:
Well, Paul.. you're right... I regret buying the cage fan. :)

I paid about $40 for a Fasco 1-6143 and it is an exact match. (size, pitch, etc) *yea*
Unfortunately, I've been unable to remove the old one from the motor shaft! After being unable to get any bite with the hex wrench, I even tried a screw extractor (reverse drill bit)..... it won't budge! I suspect the heat or rust welded it on!

If anyone is interested, you can see an old/new picture HERE.

Now for the worse news... when looking closer at the unit, what I thought was just some signs of condensation *is* a slow leak in the heat exchanger. If I close the valve leading to the heater, the ground stays dry. (there is never a puddle, just some discolored concrete) The igniter is also shot.

So, should I spend $350 for a new blower/fan + $75 or so for an igniter and keep the valve closed when I'm not using the heater? (I only use it a few times a year) Will leaving the heat exchanger empty prevent further damage or make things worse?

Another option is forget the heater... There are more important things for me to spend $2k on considering how infrequently we use the heater.

I'm so disappointed.

Robert

Glad to hear the fan cage might have worked but sorry to hear you couldn't get the old one off and now the leak you found. A professional opinion is that once the heat exchanger has been breached the unit really isn't worth doing any more repairs on. A new heat exchanger would probably run you $1,300+. That's over half the cost of a new unit. Plus who knows what you might find once you open the hood up if the screws aren't rusted on tight.

What about draining the heater and only pushing water through it the few times a year I want to use it?

I'd be willing to spend the money for the blower + igniter for the 4-5 times a year I use the heater, if it allows it to last a few more years.

Will not having water in the core damage the core further or stop additional deterioration?

Robert

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the leak sprays water inside the unit, you risk damaging the ignitor and a few other parts. So you are risking quit a bit even if you only use it a few times a year with the leak in it. It's really not worth the risk.

The leak is pretty small. I just notice some wet spots on the concrete, not running water so I suspect it's more of a drip. (which stops when I shut the valve)

That said, it did take out the igniter, and shows some rust on other components. And of course the blower motor wheel, but since that's above the exchanger, I really think that's a separate issue (maybe caused by snow ice or water going in from the top).

I really can't see spending $2000+ for a new heater, so the hot tub will be a cold tub and we'll probably lose about a month of pool time.

I realize I'm looking for an excuses on spending good money after bad... :) It's a depressing all the way around. :(

(BTW, the heater is about 8 years old (or was , when it was still a heater :) )

A portable propane heater would be an interesting idea for a pool service... once we bump the pool temp up once, we're usually good for the spring/summer. I'd pay $400 for that. (the first time I heat the pool, it cost me $200 or so in gas)

ps0303 said:
When you say "portable heater", What are you do you mean?

A pool service company would rent this by the day or week for a one-time boost of pool temp. For example; for a party or a startup temp boost. (This is for folks without a working heater)

I usually ran my heater to heat the pool once a year about this time to boost temp from 60-80 degrees. (took about 20 hours). Daily hi temps were already above 80. That gave a weekend of 80 degree water for a party, and the pool temp never dropped down much after that... it just would take forever to heat up naturally.

I envision a heater that would be wheeled in to the deck, and a large propane tank also wheeled in. It would need it's own pump for easy setup, some simple (probably vacuum hose) for supply and return all running off a 110v circuit.

Pump current would probably be the design limit for how big the heater is.

I only used my heater 4-5 times a year.... since they don't last that long, I'm not getting my money's worth on a permanent install.. might as well rent one.

Such a setup probably wouldn't get much use in some parts of the country, but in North Texas where only a "kick" is needed I would probably pay for it. Of course, maybe I'm crazy :) I guess other folks aren't asking for a solution like this.

Robert

I got the fan off and now I just want to make sure the part # 1 -6143 is right. When I look at motor its rotation is cw, not ccw. Are you supposed to consider rotation w fan pointing away from you, then that would be ccw. Sorry please don't think this a dumb question. Like above 30.00 is a lot cheaper than 400.00!

I got the fan off and now I just want to make sure the part # 1 -6143 is right. When I look at motor its rotation is cw, not ccw. Are you supposed to consider rotation w fan pointing away from you, then that would be ccw. Sorry please don't think this a dumb question. Like above 30.00 is a lot cheaper than 400.00!

Did you ever get the correct part number and rotation? I am in the same boat

Completed replacement of pentair nt minimax blower fan. Very easy and saved $300. purchased replacement fan from emotorstore. Craig Bagdon was extremely helpful and determined the correct fan and rotation is Fasco 1-6143. Go save yourself some money and diy. hardest part was getting old fan off motor. used small pulley puller and came right off.

Hi. I just wanted to send out a Thanks!!!, generally to this site (I know keeping a site like this spam free, etc. etc. is hard work), and specifically to the people who posted helpful advice in this topic. Mechanically wise, I'm not a novice and probably could have worked my way through the issues, but it's so helpful to see what other people have done. I have the Pentair minimax NT 250, and ordered the same part...seems like the same dimensions, what was left in my blower motor was a spinning disc with a hub for the lock nut, frozen solid. I was a little bit impatient and too liberal with the drill, I put a hole about halfway through the shaft, but I'm guessing I'll have different problems with this heater before that becomes an issue. Anyway, thanks again for the knowledge!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.