Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Debris on top of pool - very little suction at skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Debris on top of pool - very little suction at skimmer

I have a 30000 gallon below ground pool. I am pretty new at this but am learning as I go. We get ALOT of very small debris on the top of the pool and when I feel on the return pipe on the skimmer, there is very little suction. The vacuum works great and is on its own return line and I am not sure about the bottom drain. At the pump, there are two return pipes and one has a turn valve. When I open it up all the way the suction at the skimmer basket returns but it is weak. Two main questions, is my pipe from the skimmer clogged? and should I open that valve all the way?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Debris on top of pool - very little suction at skimmer

Is the return line built into the skimmer?
    I'd say open the valve all the way but I'd like to see a picture of the plumbing first.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

the pipe sits at the bottom of the basket...It is dark right now but I will take a pic and upload it tomorrow

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are the pics. Sorry for the delay. I tried flushing the line to see if it would assist in the pressure but it is still pulling slowly. Also, when I open the skimmer line, there is not enough suction for the vacuum to run properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like you have 2 suctions and 1 return. The 2 suctions are most likely the skimmer and the main drain. Can you tell which has the valve? If you shut the valve off, does the skimmer completely stop flowing or does the flow increase?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I think the main drain and skimmer run on the same return and the vacuum is on the other one. When I shut off the valve the skimmer doesnt have any suction but when I open it there is little suction on the skimmer and the hose for the vacuum gets so weak it stops moving.

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you cleaned your filter?

From the picture, (left to right) as Bama stated, Looks like you have a return line coming from filter back to pool, then 2 suction lines from pool to pump(no valves unless there is one in the skimmer basket)

then far right you have another pump that comes from the pool out the top to a garden valve on top and side.

Is the valve you refer to one of the ones one the blue pump? If so where does that water go to when it comes out of the hose? (waste or is this pump for something else)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

filter is cleaned (do it once a week)...blue "filter" is a bucket next to the pump...the two lines coming out the pump are to a solar heater on the roof

9. Back To Top    #9

sorry the blue is a well pump for my hose....the valve is not pictured and it is a turn valve on one of the intake lines

10. Back To Top    #10

Is there a bypass on the solar loop?
    What is the filter pressure?
    What size pump is that?
    Have you checked the impeller for a clog?
    Can you post a pic of more of the solar loop?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Does the skimmer have a weir (flapper door), is there a diverter valve under the skimmer basket? If the weir is missing or not working correctly you won't get much surface cleaning action. If there is a diverter valve under the skimmer basket it could be set to pull most of the water from the main drain.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

12. Back To Top    #12

No diverter valve and no wier, there is a bypass on the solar loop (I will post more pics tomorrow), filter pressure is about 25, and I will check on the pump size in the morning.

13. Back To Top    #13

You need a weir or you will never get good skimming of the surface.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!