New build in Metro St. Louis

geekfamily

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 5, 2013
Metro St. Louis
We signed the contract with our PB last week. The first step is for me to demo our existing deck/landscaping. I finished that today!

The PB is coming out this week to mark locations, with the hope of starting the build in about two weeks.

Here are the specs from our contract:
* Sterling Steel Shell, freeform, 21' x 35', 6' deep end
* 1" clean rock backfill, drain line around/under pool to sump pit
* 2 skimmers, individually valved at pump pad
* 4 returns
* In-pool wedding cake steps
* Stamped colored concrete coping
* 1,274 sq/ft colored concrete decking
* Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED lights (x2)
* Pentair Landscape LED lights
* Pentiar IntelliFlo VS pump
* Pentair 420 Cartridge filter
* Pentair IC20 SWCG
* Pentair EasyTouch 8 Controller
* Umbrella sleeves (x5)
* Plumbed for future pressure side cleaner from pump pad to pool
* Gas line for future heater, and 4 gas Tiki Torches
* LoopLoc Ultra Loc II cover with panels (tan)
* Deck Jets valved at pump pad with electronic actuator (x3)
* Raised Planter Bed with Rosetta Stone Belvidere and 2 Pentair bronze sheer decents, valved at pad with actuator
* Black aluminum fencing around pool (54")
* Pool filled with city water from garden hose

* Will be buying TF100 test kit from forum sponsor

Just wanted to share :)

Attachments

• EastView.jpg
    EastView.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 992
Paul, looks great! We are about to start the process as well, in the next 3-4 weeks. We are building a new house and having it done at the same time. Our previous pool had a lot of the same equipment you are using. You will love the deck jets and the intellibright lights, we LOVED the color changing. The VS pump is great too, our electric bill went down when we installed it compared to the 1hp pump we had before. The only thing I see that I recommend looking into pricing for is getting a bigger salt cell, the ic40. Doing a bigger one means it will last longer, and you can set it on a lower setting hence the longer lasting side of things. It shouldn't be too expensive to upgrade that.

Can't wait to see your progress!!! and good luck!!

Hi tatertot09,

Thanks for all the great feedback! Sounds like we will be building at the same time :)

For the SWCG...I was really on the fence about the sizing you mentioned. I read on here about oversizing 1.5 to 3 times for the exact reasons you mentioned. Our pool is 13,700 gallons...so the IC20 is about 1.5 times oversized...but the IC40 would be about 3 times oversized. I decided to error on the 1.5x as I heard getting closer to 3x could make for harder adjustments.

However, the PB would probably not charge much at all to go from the IC20 to IC40 as you mentioned...if it would be much better.

Good luck with your build!!!!

Just met with the PB foreman. Seems really knowledgeable and accommodating.

Only thing he strongly recommended was a Pentair Triton II sand filter instead of our current selection of a 420 cartridge filter. He said with all the spring pollen, we would need to clean the cartridges very often...possible once a week. Based on research here, it seems like the 420 cartridge would be very over-sized for our 13,700 gallon pool...and would require very infrequent cleanings. He said the Triton II with ClearPro Tech (TR60CP) would filter to a lower micron than cartridge as well....coming close to DE levels.

He did say he would install either one no problem. Any thoughts before we give him the green light on the 420? Should we reconsider?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a little late but I will respond to your filter question. For a cartridge filter, we would recommend at least 210 sq. ft. cartridge filter, so your 420 is large, but you really can't go too large with a cart filter.

Your pb advice is good to at least consider though, since pollen and for example cotton wood "cotton" can plug up a filter pretty fast. WIth that said, your large cart would still go awhile before needing cleaning. I am not a big fan of cleaning my cart for my hot tub, it is a lot easier to backflush my sand filter on my pool...but I do not have water restrictions, I can deal with my fill water quality issues etc. Also, if you are going with a swg, you might want to keep the cart (though sand and swg works for me).

From Hydraulics 101:
Which filter is best for you depends on your situation:

Cartridge Filters: Most energy efficient and don't require back-washing. Best suited for areas with water restriction, high electrical rates and/or pools that use a SWG.

Sand Filters: Easiest for algae clean up. Best suited for areas where the pool is closed for the winter and/or high algae potential.

DE Filters: Best filtration. Best suited for owners that really want their water to be as clean as possible.

[s:25ci82eh]If you do decide to go sand, then get a minimum of 3.2 sq. ft. sand filter.[/s:25ci82eh]See post below, should have been 2.6 sq. ft. minimum

My wife came up with this idea...why not cut the solar cover using the pool outline. Thought it might be much easier than once the pool is in with obstructions. Maybe this is a rookie mistake, but seemed simple enough. Also got the pump area cleared out and ready to go.

Attachments

• 20130407 Demo 15b.jpg
    20130407 Demo 15b.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 675
  • 20130407 Demo 22b.jpg
    20130407 Demo 22b.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 675
  • 20130407 Demo 11b.jpg
    20130407 Demo 11b.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 673
They started digging today!! PB had about 5 guys on site. They were prompt and courteous. Hopefully that is a good sign. The foreman was taking charge and really got everyone moving :)

They demo'ed the existing patio, poured the pump pad, and are digging the hole now! We are not getting a heater, but having the gas line run for it in the future. The PB said since they are also in the pool service business, they like large pads for lots of room to work...and don't want to skimp with a tiny pad. The pad they poured is 4'x8'. That is for a pump, filter, ic20, and future heater.

Only small issue is the steel pool panels (not on-site yet) have already been cut for the 2 led lights. I wanted to decide the locations, but am now limited. The good news is their locations are nearly the same as mine, except for the one by the stairs. Their location does not seem quite as good as I planned, but then again I have never seen the lights in action :( It is pretty close...so I think it will be fine. With 2 lights, my hope is we have adequate lighting.

Pics coming soon !!

More pics :) The PB has been working a ton. They worked all day yesterday and got most of the shell up, and were back out here today (Sat) at 6:45am :whoot:

Attachments

• Day 002 - 002b.jpg
    Day 002 - 002b.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 566
  • Day 002 - 016b.jpg
    Day 002 - 016b.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Day 002 - 009b.jpg
    Day 002 - 009b.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 565
The PB came out on Saturday and worked all day. They are planning to pour the concrete collar tomorrow (Monday). There is scattered rain in the forecast for all week. They want to get the concrete collar poured before any rain this week.

Here are pics of the pump pad as they started on it. Does it look ok? I noticed they did not use unions for the pump, but mostly it looks good to me...thoughts?

The wife wanted the steps moved, so the 5g light is pretty close to the steps now and might not work perfectly...but hopefully it is ok....the is a second 5g that should help.

Does anyone know what all the metal rods/string are in the pool bottom?

Attachments

• Day 003 - 003.JPG
    Day 003 - 003.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 546
  • Day 003 - 001.JPG
    Day 003 - 001.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 545

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.