Help understanding my filter system pse?

Jul 5, 2012
Chonburi Thailand
I have a sand filter with a side mounted multi port valve. The filter has a clear plastic top (screw cap 12" dia) with a pressure guage on top of it. When i backwash the water in the filter top/cap turns brown and after a few minutes not 45 second clears about 80-85%. i also have a site glass near the multiport valve on the waste pipe. This site glass (about 1" dia never looks dirty. When i rinse about 45 seconds the filter top clears up nicely.

My question is should the site glass look dirty same as the filter top glass?

Yes, ideally the sight glass should look dirty as well and then clear up as you backwash. Fortunately, since you have the clear top filter, it really doesn't matter as you can still see what you need to see through the top of the filter.

ok thanks for the quick answer. This water in the filter is never pristine during backwash. I am not sure how much water i would have to dump to get it pristine. Is this something i need to worry about? Also the pool school talks about backwashing for short periods ( under a minute) is this better then backwashing until the water is clean?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.