Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help understanding my filter system pse?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help understanding my filter system pse?

I have a sand filter with a side mounted multi port valve. The filter has a clear plastic top (screw cap 12" dia) with a pressure guage on top of it. When i backwash the water in the filter top/cap turns brown and after a few minutes not 45 second clears about 80-85%. i also have a site glass near the multiport valve on the waste pipe. This site glass (about 1" dia never looks dirty. When i rinse about 45 seconds the filter top clears up nicely.

My question is should the site glass look dirty same as the filter top glass?
    24 Foot Round AG Pool, Sand Filter
    52000 Liters
    Installed 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help understanding my filter system pse?

Yes, ideally the sight glass should look dirty as well and then clear up as you backwash. Fortunately, since you have the clear top filter, it really doesn't matter as you can still see what you need to see through the top of the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks for the quick answer. This water in the filter is never pristine during backwash. I am not sure how much water i would have to dump to get it pristine. Is this something i need to worry about? Also the pool school talks about backwashing for short periods ( under a minute) is this better then backwashing until the water is clean?
    52000 Liters
    Installed 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I recommend backwashing until the water turns more or less clear and then another 30 seconds after that.

Where in pool school does it talk about short backwashing? That sounds like a mistake.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I recommend backwashing until the water turns more or less clear and then another 30 seconds after that.

Where in pool school does it talk about short backwashing? That sounds like a mistake.
    I think it must be my mistake as i cant find where i read it. Old age in the brain. thanks
    52000 Liters
    Installed 2006