Miami, FL
FC 4
CC 0
TA 90
Calcium 230
Cya 60
Ph 7.8
8etereda.jpg

What is that stuff and how do I get rid of it?

Does it feel slimy? If so, it is algae. If not, try putting vitamin c on it and see if it fades ... that would indicate metal stain.

My guess is algae. Read about the shock process in Pool School (button at upper right) to get rid of it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I just received my test kit so I'm going to go ahead and shock the pool and we'll see what happens. I believe it is algae as it brushes of fairly easily. It just comes back though. Hopefully with added attention and testing I can get rid of it.

I purchased this home after a foreclosure so there was a time the house sat empty so who knows what the pool has been through...

I think that is the shaded side of the pool, I'll keep a better eye on the shade as the day progresses. It does seem like mustard algae though...

I read through the Pool School section on Mustard Algae and I'm a little confused. It seems like I need to shock the pool and while it is at shock level brush everything. However, it seems like do do this I would have to go into the pool to brush the light area. Is this correct? Is it safe to swim in the pool at shock level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just use a mask if you need to go underwater and rinse yourself afterward. Usually what we mean by brushing is using a brush attached to a pole, which would help you avoid having to go in the pool.

I understand that you normally brush the pool from the outside but in order to get the niche for the light and the ladder I would have to be in the pool.

So, after reading up a bit I have formulated the following plan:
1- Reduce CYA to 30 by performing water change
2- Reduce PH to 7.2 by adding Acid
3- Raise FC to 18.2 by adding Liquid Chlorine for 24 hours and then brush the heck out of everything.
4- allow the FC to fall to between 3-7
5- Raise PH to between 7.5 and 7.8 by adding soda ash
6- Raise Calcium level to between 250 and 350 by adding calcium chloride
7. Raise CYA to 40 by adding cyanuric acid

Questions:

I skipped the normal shock listed in the mustard algae pool school article because my CC is already 0 and the water is crystal clear. Is that okay?

Should I adjust the Calcium Hardness first? It is a little low but the main problem I have is he Mustard Algae.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No. You need to go through the normal shock process first. The clear water test means you can not see any algae anywhere.

After completing the normal shock process, then you raise the FC higher fit the mustard algae.

Lowering the CYA is optional, you are not that high. But shocking will be a little easier if you lower it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Forget about all the other parameters until you finish the shock process.

Just adjust the pH, and once that is set, you only need to be testing for FC and CC until the shock process is complete.

Then you can adjust everything else as required.

Update: During the draining process I managed to run my pump dry because I left the pool cleaner on and it must have gotten stuck above the water line. I should have just used the "drain" to drain the pool. So, yesterday I slapped on a spare pump I had and I'm back up and running.

Current Parameters:
FC 0
CYA 40
TA 80
PH 8.2

After testing I cleaned the filter, vacuumed, and slowly poured in what little acid I had. It is not going to be enough to lower the PH to 7.2 so I am headed out to get some more acid. How long should I wait to test ph and add more acid?

Current Parameters
PH 7.5
FC 16
CC 0

Now I'm feeling kind of dumb, my plan was to get the PH to 7.2 but I jumped the gun and added the Chlorine thinking the acid I added would lower the PH to where I wanted it.

So, should I add more acid or just monitor the FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.