Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom of my Pool Pump is Leaking. How do I fix it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bottom of my Pool Pump is Leaking. How do I fix it?

Does anyone know how to fix my pool pump leak? A few months ago my brother was working on it, and caused it to run dry for a few minutes which burned the seal on the top, I was able to fix it with a new PVC pipe and sealed it, but now for the last few months the bottom part of the pump is slowly leaking water from the pool. How can I fix this? Wateproof tape??

General Setup:

Picture of Leak:

Another view:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bottom of my Pool Pump is Leaking. How do I fix it?

Sounds like the perfect setup for a shaft seal to go bad. If you're comfortable taking stuff apart and putting it back together, it's not that difficult, and the part isn't expensive.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

when the seal goes it usually lets water into places that are not supposed to get wet (bearings). If the motor sounds anything louder than a light hum you should replace the bearings as well. Bearings are tougher as you need a bearing puller and etc. You usually end up going to a motor repair shop to get that done. Although I know pool guys that literally buy hundreds of replacement motors and swap them out instead of replacing bearings since there is labor involved. Seals are ceramic and fragile so don't force it into place.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm really really tight on money right now, generally how much should I expect to pay to have a pool repair guy service it? Is there any easy temporary fix I can do to stop the leaking until I can afford to get it fixed

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure about the labor, but if you buy the seal yourself it should be about $20 plus shipping/taxes. A good pool store that carries equipment might have it in stock.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

good idea while it's open is to replace all of the gaskets as well

7. Back To Top    #7

Given that the pool pump looks pretty old and I can't do it myself, I dont know how much the cost of labor is to re-seal and change gaskets/bearings, but would it make sense to get a new hayward pump from amazon for $154 shipped and then have someone install it? Shouldnt installing a new pump be pretty fast labor wise?

8. Back To Top    #8

Often the cost to have someone replace the seal and bearings is significantly less than replacing the pump. I doubt you can match that pump for $154, but if you can, that is a nice find. With that said, if your current setup is in not a 2-speed pump, you may want to consider one if you do decide to buy new.

Can you post details on your current pump (and the 154 dollar one), filter, pool volume and water features for us to look at? If you are looking to buy a new pump we can help select the best fit.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Warehouse Pool Supply quoted about $30 for a gasket and seal install. Suggested that it should be done every year or two lest the water get into bearings.

Unfortunately we are WAY past that time frame....
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

I got quoted $120 to replace the seal, and $120 in labor to replace the pump. I took pictures, I will post model numbers later tonight

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

120 for the seal is robbery...no matter the market. A 10 dollar part and thirty minutes with no special tools is 50 bucks to me MAX.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Looking back at the pics, you don't even need to cut the pipe. The seal plate bolts on on the outside. A box end wrench set and a flathead screwdriver is all you need.

Seriously...go buy the part and I will walk you through it
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

13. Back To Top    #13

I live in an area that isn't serviced by many and they rip people off. How can I find out whieo buy? I would love to do it myself but I'm not handy. So you're saying it onlyrequires loosening the two bolts near the leak to get to the parrt I need to replace?

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

10 bolts all 9/16", possibly 1 left handed thread impeller screw(don't lose the o-ring on there if there is one), and the impeller

15. Back To Top    #15

If you're not handy, it's better to get someone who is to do it for you or at least help you.

You have to remove the wiring from the motor and then remove the 6 bolts from the seal plate (white plate that the motor is bolted to). Once you've done that the unit will come apart at the seam and you can get to the rest of the parts.

Here's a thread on how to do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey guys I had my buddy try to put on the new seal and orings today, but when he took the puand messed up that he could not remove it, he said they were cctogeter. He said he then called his pool guy who tolm it happens and that its impossible at that point to remove without damaging the pump. My buddy has no agenda as he's not getting paid and advised I get a new pump. My model pump is $450. Any suggestions or anyone ever heard of not being able to remove the old seal?

17. Back To Top    #17

There are a few words missing from your post that make it difficult for me to understand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Sorry it got messed up from my phone. My friend tried to put a new seal on. He said the existing seal after opening the pump that it was badly corroded and clinched together. He spent 1hr working to pop it out he said it was impossible otherwise he'd break the pump. Any suggestions before I have to spend $450 on a new whisperflo pump?

19. Back To Top    #19

So which piece is stuck. The part in the pump housing or the part of the seal in the impeller?

If it comes to a new pump, I am sure we can find you something that will work for less than $450. In fact, we can probably recommend a smaller 2-speed for less than that, depending on your pool details and need for high flow rates.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

I am told its the part of the seal in the impeller. In terms of what I currently have, I have whisperflo 1.5 hp model No WF-26. and my motor is a Century Centurion A.O.Smith. I don't know the information of how many gallons my pool is, but its about 6-7 feet deep max at the deepest part. Here is a picture for reference, its raining like crazy here right now but I can measure the length tomorrow if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast