First time pool buyer looking for advice

Hi, welcome to TFP. The first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is check what the local ordinances are for pools in your area. If you have a homeowners association check there as well. That will let you know if you need any permits to set one up, any set backs or right of ways to deal with.

Do you know what size, shape you are looking for?

Welcome to TFP!

You will want to think about whether or not you would want a salt water chlorine system where the system makes chlorine for you or whether you would rather manually add the chlorine to the pool. In the end, the price is about the same. You spend more up front with the saltwater system but you don't have to haul buckets of chlorine to the pool.

Once you get in the ball park to do some price shopping, then you can start looking online and around your area to compair pools and see where the best BANG for your Buck is going to be. :cool:

Diane, don't be overwhelmed by all the questions above, first answer this.......above ground pool or in-ground pool?

Assuming the answer is above ground, then let's talk about size. Get a tape measure, and go out and measure the area for the pool you think you would like. Again, assuming this is your first pool, may I suggest if you want to dip your feet in the water in this pool thing, let's go with one of the framed Intex pools....Metal frame or Ultra Frame. I started out with the metal frame then recently have gone to the Ultra Frame. If your committed for a "real" pool, then start looking at the "big" ones at the local pool store......yup, they can be nice and expensive.

Now you can reread the responses above. All of them are spot on. You really need to see what legal problems may be in store for you with a pool. I would mention homeowner's insurance too. Something you might ask your agent at least. You will need electricity for the pump and salt water generator too if you go that route (it does make it less stressful once you get everything fine tuned with it). An extension cord is a poor option here.......so electric work may be in your future.

OK, with all that said, get to work. Oh, one last VERY important thing. ANY above ground pool will need an absolutely level spot to sit on. If you can't do that you will need someone to do that for you. Again, it is critically important that the site be absolutely level.

Finally, you need to sit down and decide how much "sweat" equity you are willing or are capable of. Many here are pretty capable, but the bigger the pool, the more likely you WILL need help no matter how handy you are. Figure any installation costs now before you start so you aren't suprised.

Keep on asking the questions and telling us your thoughts. There is a great amount of knowledge AND experience setting up and operating pools of all sizes here. Everyone here wants you to have a positive experience with your pool because we have had it with ours and hopefully we can keep you from making the mistakes we have that made.

Bob E.

Pool School (the link is in the top right corner) is an extremely valuable read, pretty much everything you'll need to know is contained there.
Also, there are lots of pool install videos online, watch several of those so your up to speed on what's involved.

Hi all,thanks for your thoughts and advice. I did have an Intex pool..think it was a 16 footer?,and I was able to maintain quality water using the BBB method. I will have pool professionally installed.Am going to pool show in a few weeks,gather info,and do research as far as pump size I truly need instead of the one they want me to buy...be in touch soon. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.