LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2012
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm coming out of my first winter with an in-ground (auto covered) pool. Living in Ohio, I'm not expecting to open until sometime in May. Any harm (or REAL Benefit) to adding Chlorine to closed pool now? Even though my pool isn't currently running, I'm thinking that this could help keep the water clear as the Temps begin to warm up. Any opinions?

Adding chlorine without circulation can cause fading of your vinyl liner if it doesn't mix properly. While chlorine distributes quite quickly and evenly with a pump running, it can (but not always) damage your liner.

If you could uncover a corner and get a big "stirrer" (boat paddle?) in the pool as you pour the chlorine, that should be enough to be safe.

If the pool is covered with an opaque cover and you open the pool before the water gets up to 60 degrees you will almost always open to a clean pool, even without any added chlorine during the time the pool is closed.

Using bleach or liquid chlorine would be better to use too since you wouldn't need to predissolve and you wouldn't have to worry so much about undissolved granules sitting on the pool floor. It would still be necessary to stir as described above though to avoid concentrated areas of solution sitting and causing problems.

Thanks for the quick reply, guys. I think will just leave things alone for now. I just opened the cover to take a peak, and the water looks quite good. I would have to damage teh liner in any way (pool was just completed in August).

Last year, before I found this forum, I followed my pool store's suggestion to pour liquid chlorine through the mesh cover every few weeks, beginning in April, until I opened in May. I either did it on a rainy day, or followed the bleach with a spray from the hose, to mix it somewhat. No damage to my vinyl liner or cover, but it didn't help keep the water clear either. I'll never be able to figure out why in the one corner I would open to look at the water it was clean, yet when I took off the cover, 3/4 of the pool was black with inches of muck on the bottom.

When I had a solid cover, I would open in May to clear water with no chemicals added after closing.

I closed but didn't cover my pool as I don't have any trees of significance. One day in early March the ice thawed and I noticed the water looked a little dull and the bottom had a little algae started. I added a 96 oz bottle of bleach all the way around the pool and then used the leaf rake to stir with and pull out a handful of leaves that blew in from across the road. The next day the surface refroze. It has now thawed again and while the water is clear the bottom still has a little algae on it. Now that we've hopefully had our last hard freeze I plan to open this weekend and start shocking, brushing and vacuuming. Between the freezes the water temp 12" below the surface was in the mid 50's. I suspect the water temp near the bottom is higher being in contact with the ground and that is why algae is forming there. The line of algae stops part way up the cove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.