Recommendations for pool furniture

4knights

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2012
NE Kansas
I finished the pool in time to put it to bed for winter and am preparing for spring. We still have a lot of yard work to do (I do, whilst the boss watches) :)

I'm looking for your recommendations on loungers, chairs, tables, etc.. (the wife has to sit somewhere and give me direction) :whip: We like the wrought iron look but love the comfort of fabric so let's here some advice and if you have pictures to share that's even better.
Thanks in advance!

Wrought iron (Woodard) will last a lifetime. Mine is 20 years old and I just had it re-powdercoated for the first time. Mom's is 40 years old and I had her's done too. Get cushions anywhere and replace as needed.

I also have some cast aluminum that is formed then powder coated and hand painted to look like bamboo. Discontinued but something similar can be had from Ballard Designs catalog. Just redid cushions on that and sewed a cover that, when all the chair cushions are piled onto the sofa, keeps the leaves and raccoons off.

There are so many choices. You are looking at about the worst possible time though, as the deals are at the end of the season, and you haven't had a chance to see what you like around the pool yet. If you have children, you may find that they want to swim a lot longer than the adults, and that sitting in the sun around the pool watching them is uncomfortable. That may push you toward a table with an umbrella or a free-standing umbrella. The unshaded seating around our pool is not very popular during the day, but once the sun goes down it is great. I wouldn't make a big investment until you have a year under your belt.

Great info so far, keep it coming. We already have a large patio (30x30) next to the house that steps up to the main yard and pool. We have 2 wicker sets that have taken a beating over the last ten years and are on their last leg. (wicker is giving up the ghost) I have plans to build an outdoor kitchen with pergola cover that will shade part of the pool deck and will be getting an oversize umbrella for another area around the deck. Kids are grown and growing(20 & 15 plus a live in Granddaughter 1)
A friend recommended a resin plastic chaise but not sure how they will hold up long term. Can't see spending the same money twice if I don't need to.

We hit all the wholesale clubs. Bjs SAMs and Costco. We ended up with the Costco sitting set 1700.00 and the fireplace from bjs for 300.00. Costco has really nice big carpets 8x12 for 100.00. The carpets were outdoor ones. Loved it. We also bought the pergola at bjs . SAMs stuff was cheap feeling and expensive. We also have a wrought iron table and chairs that is ten years old but I love it and it still looks great. You can get sunbrella cushions for the chairs at Costco. They are great too.
Oh I forgot, the sitting set was made with sunbrella fabric so it should hold up nicely and you can buy a replacement cover for the pergola online for a hundred or so bucks
Can't wait for summer!

With A salt water pool, you may need to be wary of wrought iron. I just noticed your SWG and I am not at all certain that even good wrought iron will hold up to salt. I can say for sure that the wrought iron chaise from Lowe's was rusting the first year with a cushion on it holding water from the pool or the rain. It has been electrostaticly powder coated and I expect it will be fine now. You might want powder coated aluminum instead.

I have a mix of outdoor furniture. I really don't have any photos of just the furniture though I'll see if I can find some online. All of my furniture stays outdoors through the winter. I let all my teak weather to a silver-gray color.

I have a set of four folding cafe/bistro teak and steel chairs with a matching teak and steel teak table. Two chairs with arms, two without. These get moved around; sometimes down by the lake, sometimes by the pool or by the back patio. I've had them for over 10 years and they have held up remarkably well. They are very comfortable to sit in. Came with a 32" round slatted teak and steel table. They look very much like the photo below.

french_bistro_furniture_5510_in_garden.jpg

We have a couple of chaise loungers that are the same structure as the above bistro set out on the back patio.

I have about a half-dozen teak steamers. These stay out by the pool year-round. Maybe 7 years old. We have cushions for them, some folk prefer the wood, some prefer the cushions. You do have to be careful when shopping for these types of steamers. On some the wood is not so great and the brass is thin and poorly machined. Personally I don't like the bright brass, I stripped the lacquer off so they'd tarnish to a nice dull brown. Very similar to these:

ld-steamer-chair-038N-detail-wm.jpg

We have a teak dining set out by the pool, as well as a similar one out on the back patio of the house. The company used to be "Wood Classics", they are now called Arthur Lauer.

http://www.outdoorteakgardenfurniture.com/

Nice stuff. Probably bought it 12 years ago. Bought kits and assembled it myself. We have the 60" dining table with two extension leaves, a sedgewick coffee table, 8 grayson dining arm chairs, 4 salter adirondack chairs.

We have a set of powder coated cast aluminum, two chairs and a table. Called "dolphin and star" design or something like that. Very comfortable.

large_658.jpg

Now for the bizarre...about 5 years ago my wife on a whim bought an outdoor set (four chairs and a table) from Home Depot. Marked down for end-of-year clearance. $700, to $350, then to $100. I grimaced when she bought it home. The chairs are large deep seating seats, sort of a "spring steel" design for a little rocking motion. The table has a removable center panel that you remove to reveal a sort of hokey recessed fire pit in the middle of it, which we never use for fire. But we do fill it with ice to chill drinks. :p

I can't believe I'm writing this, but it was an excellent buy. Very comfortable deep seating. The cushions stay out all summer, rain or shine, but I do bring them in for winter. The set, which I sort of thought was going to be disposable, has survived several years.

I have about 8 pull around the pool chairs like the photo below. Foldable arm chairs that also recline for sunbathing:

P14524648.jpg

While we have cushions available, most people at our house don't like cushions on their chairs/loungers when sunbathing. But for pool watching or chilling in the shade under the pergola, the cushions are always used.

When looking for chill-out seating, look for "deep seating". Comfy.

Man, after writing all that I wanna go nap by the pool. I guess I'll have to wait for the snow to melt first.

Great replies, thanks!
Tried Craigslist but most folks want new prices for 10 year old junk. One couple has a nice 18 piece set that I considered (need quite a bit of restoration) until I heard the price. $5700.00. They paid $8700 5 years ago and left it out in a tornado (they got most of the it back from neighbors and insurance paid for new) told them thanks but I'll keep shopping.
I've got plenty of time to shop around as spring approaches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are still building our furniture collection, but we did pick up 4 of the Sling Chaises from SAMs Club at the en if the season last year for $59 each. They are comfortable, but we will see how they hold up.

Right now we are eyeing a "coffee table set" at Costco that has a small propane fire pit in the center of the table ($1400). We are not moving fast, because we are still planning to add some shelter right off the pool deck (will be connected but have to pour another pad). At that point, we will really start to look (although we will most likely wait until the end of the season again for any major purchases to save some cash).

Somethings that need to be considered from my experience. Don't buy any furniture that may leave rust stains on your deck. Even aluminum furniture with steel fastners can leave rust stains, I know from experience! Make sure that you can get replacement cushions for the furniture that you purchase. We bought a wicker set years ago and it needs new cushions, we have been told it would be cheaper to just buy new furniture due to the fact that the existing cushions are not a standard size and would have to be custom sewn. I would also look into the ability of purchasing replacement lounge chair fabric. We have four lounge chairs that the fabric is torn and may have to throw them out and get new as we are having a hard time finding replacement material.

4knights said:
Great replies, thanks!
Tried Craigslist but most folks want new prices for 10 year old junk. One couple has a nice 18 piece set that I considered (need quite a bit of restoration) until I heard the price. $5700.00. They paid $8700 5 years ago and left it out in a tornado (they got most of the it back from neighbors and insurance paid for new) told them thanks but I'll keep shopping.
I've got plenty of time to shop around as spring approaches.

:shock:

Did you feel like muttering, "I see crazy people..." after you talked to them?

UnderWaterVanya said:
:shock:

Did you feel like muttering, "I see crazy people..." after you talked to them?

I didn't mutter it quietly, I asked them if they were OK? Because the tornado must have damaged their sense of used furniture value, especially when they had already recouped full price from insurance. They just said "someone will buy it for our price". Sad part is they may be right. It just won't be me. :hammer:

We've been eyeballing the Toronto Deep Seating 6 pc set at Sam's Club and I'm pretty sure that's gonna get snuck in next week as a Mother's Day gift.

Truthfully, I'm not at all enticed by the bland tan cushions, but I figured we could get those recovered. The furniture is roomy and seems very sturdy. Anyone have any last-minute caveats about this set?

0005087406948_A

First time saltwater pool owners with Kool Deck decking. Learning a lot. Questions:

1.) what is min decking width for area with lounge chairs? I know this a vague question. Input welcomed.

2.) any recommendations on saltwater resistant chaise lounge chairs that won't corrode and equally important won't leak rust onto decking? Or if there are best practices to minimize risk of this happened?

Thank you!

We went cheap with chaises from Target for under 80 bucks to hold us over while we shopped for "better" ones. We bought 4 in 2012 We liked them so much we bought another 4 in 2016. Still using all 8. They are steel, sling chaises. Sometimes they do get a little rusty water inside and if you tip them they will put orange water on the pool deck. If you hose it off immediately it doesn't stain. Muriatic acid will clean it up if you don't hose it off immediately. Saltwater doesn't have any impact one way or the other because there are two on another deck away from the pool and they all act the same way. Anyway 5 seasons and still going great is enough for me an my 80 bucks.

I don't know the width of my deck but the are pics in the link in my sig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.