Will my basketball hoop fall over?

npkr

Feb 9, 2013
Hello,

I am having a paver patio set around my inground pool next month. I would like to install the SR Smith Salt Friendly Basketball Hoop which uses anchors that accomodate the 1.90" outer diameter dual poles. I plan to use the 6 inch deep bronze anchors (model AS-100D) distributed by SR Smith designed for this purpose. The manufacturer's instructions assume the entire 6" depth of the anchor is embedded in poured concrete

My question and concern is this: Since it is a paver patio, and each paver is 2 and 3/8 inch thick, that leaves a maximum of 3 and 5/8 inch that would be anchored within the concrete pad that will be poured and lie underneath the involved pavers ( the rest of the patio will be compacted gravel with 1 inch of sand over it and pavers on top). This assumes the pavers lie directly on top of the concrete pad.

Do you think that the lower 3 and 1/2 inches or so of the bronze anchor embedded within the concrete will be enough to hold the basketball hoop securely?

Thank you

No 3 1/2" is not enough. Why would SR Smith recommend 6". To insure that the pole doesn't get pulled over into the pool and someone get hurt or the pool damaged, that is why. Do as the manufacturer recommends for the safety of your family members.

Why would SR Smith recommend 6". To insure that the pole doesn't get pulled over into the pool and someone get hurt or the pool damaged, that is why.
Overkill and to cover themselves is why they suggest 6". A bronze anchor embedded in 3.5" of concrete could not be pulled over by a car! I can't imagine a scenario where someone can dislodge an anchor using a 3-4 foot tall basketball hoop. Honestly, I doubt Shaquille O'Neal could do it swinging from a regulation 10' goal but, if you are planning on having him over, I might go 4.5" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you for the replies. Does anyone have another opinion one way or the other?

Is there another product that I can use? Does anyone know of a bronze anchor that is longer than 6 inches that accepts a 1.90" diameter pole?

If not, I might have to give it a try with the 6 inch bronze anchors partially embedded. I know there are plastic anchors on the market that are a bit longer but my concern is that they will crack.

I'm not familiar with the anchors, but what about pouring footings for the anchors to be embedded it. You could use 6" PVC pipe for the forms and pave around the anchors at ground level. Just an idea...like I said I'm not familiar with the anchors or the profile sticking out of the ground. If this idea doesn't work, maybe it'll spark an idea for something else that will.

I did what I initially thought I would do. I had them embed two 6 inch x 1.90 inch dia. SR Smith bronze anchors (AS-100d) in concrete 17.5 inches apart for the the two-pole salt friendly basketball hoop. The anchors are embedded about 3 and 5/8 inch in a poured concrete pad (which is about 3 x 2 feet x 12 inches deep) with the pavers over the top of the pad. In retrospect, my concerns were almost silly. Those anchors aren't going anywhere. The hoop is rock solid and completely immovable. I've got some big 15 year old boys kids playing with it and its been fine.

The kids love the basketball hoop and it seems like a quality product.

I also used several additional AS-100d bronze sleeves for umbrella pole anchors in various locations around the deck, which turned out to be a great idea. The 1.90 inch sleeve sizes accommodate many over-sized umbrella poles. To get a standard 1.5 inch pole to stand up straight, I simply cut 5 inch sleeves of sch 40 pvc and slid them into the as-100d's where needed. I forget the size of pvc for this off hand- I think it is 1.5 inch sch 40 which has an outer diameter of 1.90 inches- it fits the AS-100d sleeves perfectly.

The hardscape contractor anchored each one of them in a similar way as the basketball hoop, but simply buried half a cinder block, embedding each sleeve in concrete which they poured in the center cavity of the block. I was a little skeptical that would hold the umbrella sleeves securely but he assured me they would with the base compacted around the block and the pavers on top. So far, no problem. They are solid.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.