Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer after the winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer after the winter

Last year my stabilizer got way too high due to using stabilized tabs. Then I learned about you folks and switched to BBB. I had reduced the CYA to about 70 last year by replacing some water. I figured most of it would still be around now. But now it tests very low - there's not enough clouding in the test to make the dot disappear. So, I added the small amount of CYA i had in the garage and threw in a couple of stabilized tabs in the skimmer. i'll test again and see where I am. The Taylor booklet recommends putting CYA at 50 if planning to use unstabilized chlorine. Does this sound right?
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    I recommend CYA between 30 and 50, unless you have a SWG and then between 60 and 80.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School