Yakiman

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2012
Yakima, WA
Pool Size
Dumb question:

Pool store closed my pool and removed all the freeze plugs from the filtration system. I want to open it myself.

Is the pump self-priming? In other words can I just turn it on and it will suck water out the pool and into the system? Or will this result in the pump running dry for too long and cause damage?

Thanks!

I never thought twice about this and the first time I ever fired up my new pump I just let it suck air until all the lines had filled and all the air purged. It seemed to do just fine that way and was pulling a good amount of water within the priming cycle (first 3 minutes). Later I had pulled the plugs to put in gauges for inspection and again to remove the gauges and after that I had to cycle the pump back to "prime" (high speed) manually a few times before the basket would fill and the pump move water. I mentioned this to the plumber and he suggested that if I ever pull those plugs again, just open the basket and run a hose in there to fill with water before starting the pump. He did not mention any chance of damage letting the pump self prime though.

I know nothing though as I'm 100% new to pools myself. I'm curious now how long a pump can run with little to no water before there is trouble?

Maybe yes and maybe no. If your system is pretty airtight and the pump is not too far above the water line in the pool, then it will prime. Give it a try. It's OK to run it for a few minutes without worry of overheating. Mine primes VERY slowly but I start to get a trickle within a minute or so and the flow steadily increases until it primes.

Post back if you can't get it to work and we'll have some tips.

I suggest you pour water into the pump basket to get it started. You probably won't be able to fill it up but you need to pour a good bit in there. Make sure you have all the winterizing plugs removed and all the equipment drains, etc back in place.

Heres how you get your pump primed the fastest.
1. make sure all valves are closed before the pump (main drain & skimmers)
2. Fill pump basket full of water
3. Turn on pump and immediately crack main drain about half way
4. Water should start being sucked in within a minute or two, if so, gradually open valve, if not, repeat the steps.

This works every time and we open 500+pools a year.

any reason not to prime? i saw someone put water in de filter along with basket. i can't think there is any downside too it. opening pool next week i plan on doing both. if anybody had a bad experience with this let me know. i'm thinking by filter is about 1-2 foot higher then pool level and about 30ft away

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.