Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness issues in Richardson, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness issues in Richardson, TX

Hey guys...I am just wondering if there is anyone else in the Richardson area who has fill water that is low in calcium?

My previous home was only about 4 miles from here...granted, it was in Dallas...and the water there was usually a bit high when tested. I am surprised that being so close, the water could be that different...and a little concerned that just maybe my test isn't accurate, or I am doing something wrong?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Brian, Richardson TX. 25K Plaster Pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Booster Pump, 325 sq ft Cart Filter. This is my 3rd pool to convert to BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness issues in Richardson, TX

In most places with high CH, CH levels vary rather dramatically by season. Are you comparing the two locations with tests done during the same season in both locations?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My water here in Garland is fairly hard, but almost unmeasurable using my CH test. I realize we are on two different providers, but we are neighbors and IIRC we both pull from Lake Lavon.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

why "unmeasurable"? could that be the issue I am having? when you attempt to measure using CH test...what happens?
    Brian, Richardson TX. 25K Plaster Pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Booster Pump, 325 sq ft Cart Filter. This is my 3rd pool to convert to BBB method.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Posting some test results would be VERY helpful for others to learn. Are you testing CH or TH
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Robbie, I'm in N Fort Worth and my hardness is VERY high! 500+, just been dealing with it.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

7. Back To Top    #7

I measured CH, got a reading of about 30. I don't know how accurate the CH test is that low. The reason I say "about" is because based on the way I saw it react, I'd say it was closer to 25. Next time I test my pool chems (maybe tomorrow unless it's storming) I'll run a test on my tap water again.

Garland says we have hard water and on the city's site they recommend using vinegar in your washing machine and dishwasher.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I measured CH, got a reading of about 30. I don't know how accurate the CH test is that low. The reason I say "about" is because based on the way I saw it react, I'd say it was closer to 25. Next time I test my pool chems (maybe tomorrow unless it's storming) I'll run a test on my tap water again.

Garland says we have hard water and on the city's site they recommend using vinegar in your washing machine and dishwasher.
    What test kit are you using? Are you saying 3 drops and your there?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

9. Back To Top    #9

I essentially have the TF-100 and using a SpeedStir. I've put together pieces here and there from Dave as time has gone by.

2 drops ALMOST sticks, the third drop holds, 4th drop does nothing.

10. Back To Top    #10

Man thats low! I wish mine were even close to that! I take small breaks after 25 drops!

11. Back To Top    #11

You almost have me tempted to run it again just for the heck of it. We have trouble getting our dishes spotless and such, but it's nowhere near as hard as my pool (320).

12. Back To Top    #12

Wait I'm confused, 25 is your tap water? And 320 is the pool?

13. Back To Top    #13

Correct. We were talking about tap water hardness. Pool is right where I want it.

14. Back To Top    #14

OK. My house tap is way lower than my pool, and we get spotting on all glass if left to air dry. Heavy minerals in our area, CH in the pool has been high since day 1. Drained almost all the water one year filled back up and in a few days right back at square 1! Pool is crystal clear and numbers are at TFP levels. I'm always watching for scale build-up but no problems so far.

15. Back To Top    #15

Keep your pH in check, TA in check, and consider adding borates. Following these three guidelines has eliminated the scaling issues I used to have.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have NO scaling, my PH stays around 7.2 and I keep the TA low at 40. I'm Borated to 50 going on the 3rd year now.