Chlorine Generators and Caretaker 99 in floor cleaner

Mar 5, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
Can anybody tell me if i can use a Pentair Intellaclor system with a Caretaker 99 in floor cleaner ?
Looking at the Pentair Manual it mentions a seperate return line for in floor cleaner ..
Thats kinda hard to do , unless its new construction.. Anybody know of any issues ?
The only thing i can think of is pressure ??? The caretaker valves guage goes around 10 15 psi ,
I dont think its a problum ?
Hate to spend a grand for intelliclor and it dont work !!!
Thanks for any advice ...

sean Hannon

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, previous house had a Hayward SWG that ran through an in-floor cleaning system.

I guess I am unclear what the Pentair manual says. Does it say it should be on a separate return from the in-floor system ... like to a wall?

The only thing I can think of that might be their concern is a build up of gas somewhere in the piping after the SWG.

CAUTION - To avoid permanent damage to the IntelliChlor cell, automatic in-line chlorine/bromine feeders (such as Pentair Water Pool and Spa® Rainbow models) MUST be installed AFTER the IntelliChlor cell as shown below. When using the IntelliChlor with an in-floor cleaner pressure system, it is recommended that a separate return line be used for the cleaner to reduce the increased water pressure stress on the IntelliChlor cell.

Personally, I would not worry about it. My floor cleaner only raised the filter pressure by a few psi ... which was still likely lower than some plumbing and pump setups.

Would make more sense if they said do not use above X psi, but that caution sounds pretty generic. I know filters are designed for 50psi and would assume that the SWG is similar.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Exactly, 15 psi is very reasonable, so it should not affect the cell.

BTW, we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure. That means you should be cleaning yours around 18-19 psi to maintain the best flow rate and filtering.

We generally recommend something that is sized for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. This generally seems to make the cell last longer as it does not have to run as much each day to keep up.

The 40k ones may be a bit small, but certainly easier to find. A 60k is a good size, but I am not sure who makes them or who to recommend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dixit said:
Ive got a Caretaker 99 and my Jandy Aquapure Ei has no issues. My setup with clean filter (cartridges) Im at close to almost 26-28psi base. Dirty it will be close to 40psi.

Dixit

Whoa ... we would recommend cleaning the filter well before 40spi. The general recommendation to maintain good flow rates would be to clean when the pressure goes up by 20-25% of the clean pressure. If you are ~27 psi when clean (that is pretty high in itself ... must be a big pump with a lot of head loss), then cleaning should happen by ~34 psi.

Ive been trying to see if that psi was normal a few said it was. I remember at one point I put no filter cartridges back in and still got about 28psi running the tank empty basically. Its only that high when its on my normal floor cleaners (I dont have a wall return). If I open up say the waterfall then it will drop to 22psi. Spa mode its between 24-26psi. Normally Ive never let it get higher than 32psi to be honest. I just remember the the old owner saying he would change/clean it at 40psi.

The pump running it is in my signature, its the Starite one. I have a flow meter on the pipe as well, and on Floor cleaner mode I get a good 60-65gpm, if I open up the waterfall at the same time it will get upto 90+gpm. So dont see any restrictions. The pump station and all the stuff is sitting about 30-40ft away from the pool, and sitting just about level of the poo (not lower or higher).

Dixit

I know the floor systems generally add head loss and using a 2HP will give the higher pressures ... likely it is fine and within the norm. Might be able to get away with a smaller pump (?) ... although if it is the same pump on the spa jets, maybe not.

Generally the pool equipment is designed for up to ~50 PSI ... 40 PSI just is getting higher than I would want to be. I can not remember what the system ran at my previous house, but I bet it was close to 30 PSI with the solar and Caretaker running.

Yeap Ive had the "bug" a few times to replace that Sta-Rite with say a variable speed but to be honest it wouldnt be worth it. Since its the main pump that does it all, it would cause issues in trying to use low power mode on variable. The floor cleaner heads need minimum 15psi to operate, so since I have no real wall return, I wouldnt be able to run it at a very low speed mode. Then we have Jandy actuators that flip on the return and drain side to go into spa mode, the jets would work good as you stated for Spa use. Although there it would work find for just "circulation/cleaning" mode. So I though Id probably never be able to use the lower side of the variable speed pump not to mention here in GA we sit around 6-9cents per KWH (tiered).

2HP is definitely needed for the Spa side (since its shared), with the current setup the flow out of the (I think 6-7 jets) feels good. Anything less wouldnt feel like a spa then.

Dixit

Well just a mid summer update.
My Circupool RJ 60 is working perfect
My pool looks awesome .
Phosphates are Gone now.
And I love the Pool Monitor app for i-phone, its a time saver.
The TF-100 makes it all possible !!!
Also loving the new Color Splash 3-G LED lighting .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.