Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck level is slightly lower than pool - how to do surround

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck level is slightly lower than pool - how to do surround

Hi Guys,

I see you guys have a brilliant solution to decks with your pool rim able to be built on.
    I have a disaster where the pool rim is higher than the surrounding deck, and the rim of the pool is NOT allowed to take any load.

What would you suggest in terms of pool surrounds, as we have to repair most of our deck as it has rotted.
    Currently we have ugly ply wood, that sits on top of the pool rim when it shouldn’t.

Cheers Paul.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck level is slightly lower than pool - how to do surro

Welcome to TFP!!!

If most of it is rotted can you raise it a bit?
    Alternatively, could you add a step-up around the pool that would cantilever out and cover the pool walls?

Now ... I defer to those with actual experience
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

If most of it is rotted can you raise it a bit?
    Alternatively, could you add a step-up around the pool that would cantilever out and cover the pool walls?

Now ... I defer to those with actual experience
    Thanks for that, and a good idea, I was amazed to find a pool website, very cool
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with jbizzle. Pull the bad and going bad wood then you can either add a stepped cantaliever or even a smooth sloped transition cantaliever (would require some wood working skill or trail and error for a DIY guy) My dad and I built a deck surround for one of the Intex self supporting pools. The deck held all the weight so folks could actually sit on the edge and dangle their feet. Can't do that with an inflatable ring.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.