Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painting PVC pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Painting PVC pipe

I think I need to get around to painting the new PVC pipe on my equipment pad and for my solar install before the summer ... thinking that it protects the pipe from the solar UV.

But, I seem to recall some discussion that the paint does not actually protect the PVC from sun, so I am wondering if it needs to be done or not.

Questions to anyone:
    Are the pipes painted just for looks or does the paint actually help protect the PVC from the sun?

Painting the solar PVC black should help with heating (a little) better to go flat or gloss for this? ... even though white would blend better with the roof.

Stick with the Krylon Fusion or just find the cheapest stuff I can (if indeed the paint does not really protect the PVC)?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Painting PVC pipe

As far as I know most paint is opaque to UV but it might degrade with UV so it should protect the pipes from UV as long as it does not significantly degrade.

Heat absorption is better with a black flat paint but so is emissivity which means higher heat loss at night. But the surface area of the pipes is so small compared to the pool that it probably will not add much heat.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I have used 5-6 year old PVC that was out in the sun with no paint.....it was fine. It looks a bit better painted, though.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Most studies have shown only a slight degradation in impact strength with UV but unfortunately most of these studies have been fairly short too (~2 years).

Also, these companies recommend painting if the pipe is exposed for more than two years:

http://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase/ ... entkey=774

http://www.lascofittings.com/supportcen ... Piping.asp

http://www.pvcfittingsdirect.com/_e/pag ... tings_.htm

While it may not be completely necessary, why take the chance?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

True, why take the chance. I will likely try to get most of this taken care of this weekend. Time to get the solar fired back up!

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I know this is an old thread, but it is good information. My efforts here are to preserve the information since 2 out of the 3 links provided are non-existent at the present day.

Based on the one website that still works, but who knows for how long, the recommended paint is light-colored acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC/CPVC. Check manufacturer of paint if unsure of compatibility. Do not use oil-based paint products.
    13k Gal. PebbleTec IG pool : Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump : Hayward 8-cartridge filter system : A&A in-floor cleaners : Jandy 115k BTU heat-pump : A&A auto-filler : Stenner 45MPHP10 auto-chlorine feeder : BBB Method

7. Back To Top    #7

When my house was built 2 years ago, I had them builder stub-in utilities (hot/cold, sewer, electric, gas) for a future outdoor kitchen on my back patio. A few days before closing, I failed city inspection because the exposed PVC for my water & sewer lines was not painted "to protect them from UV degradation". So based on my city building inspector, it sounds like a good idea.

But wait...there's more: Nine months later, the same building inspector didn't say peep about all of the exposed plumbing PVC when he gave final approval on my pool....even after I asked him why there is a difference. His reply: "I don't make the rules, I only enforce 'em. The paint doesn't make a difference to PVC anyway." So based on my city building inspector, it sounds like a waste of effort.

You're welcome, in advance, for my extremely helpful response to your question, Jason!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a helpful response. Here is some more help.

My wife said to paint the PVC to make it pretty. The PVC is painted.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That is a helpful response. Here is some more help.

+1 Your wife and my wife come from the same ilk.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Smart man.

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

I wounder if you ever have to make repairs, if the PVC cleaner/primer will remove spray paint like Krylon.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

not sure if PVC primer will remove paint but I know sand paper will
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Jason, I used the "dip your car" type plasti dip/spray and it has a 3 to 10 year UV stable rating.. Mine is going on year 2 and still looks the same

http://www.plastidip.com/docs/F-819%...%205%20OEM.pdf

I used 2 cans of black and 2 cans of anthracite gray, 1 light coat followed by 3 heavy coats.. Just the black looks very good also.. 1 thing to know, you can see where it rubbed off just above the pump on the union, all of my unions that I have used have done this..

DipYourCar.com
    DipYourCar.com

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

14. Back To Top    #14

Sacramento County California requires pvc be painted to get final sign off.

http://thomasinspections.com/files/P...sSacCounty.pdf

Its on page 11.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

15. Back To Top    #15

Well 3 years later I still have not painted anything.

The only thing that has some discoloration is the short pieces of flex I used.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

You can stain the pipe and get some really cool effects that will be pretty well permanent.

Stain PVC Pipe Any Color You Like | Make: This one gives you solid colors using the same method as PVC primer uses.

Example image: http://1abxf1rh6g01lhm2riyrt55k.wpen...3dN2T2mg2U.jpg

Or you can make it look like wood: HOW TO STAIN PVC PIPE SO IT LOOKS LIKE WOOD
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat