Need help understanding pool pump valve set up

Renee

Feb 11, 2013
I've attached a picture of my system. I want to understand how it works. I'm somewhat technical and should be able to catch on. I'm having some problems and want to understand what my PB is doing and why. We just replastered and he started it back up this week. It was running in service mode (Aqualink controller) continuously in order to work out the plaster dust and I'm brushing it daily. Time to change it back to Auto and I notice on the Aqualnk panel that it is on "Spa Drain". Weird I thought so I changed it to "Pool mode" and the spa began to drain. Shut everything down-- Jandy valves work but I think one of the toggle was wrong---set both toggle switches to ON1. Put in Pool Mode and turned on the filter. At first it seemed as if it would run--the pump primed--then the pump lost prime. Checked the skimmer and it was sucking in water faster than the pool could supply it. Now waiting for PB tech to come out---but I want to understand this so I know what is going on, now and in the future when it is out of warranty. Picture shows main set up--there is a secondary pump for a waterfall--it is all turned off. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 77
That sounds like the water level is too low in the pool, or the weir door on the skimmer is stuck.

There is an automated valve that decides if the pump draws water from the pool or spa. The spa side goes straight down into the ground on the left of the supply valve. On the pool side (right) there is a manual valve that determines which of two sources on the pool water is drawn from, most likely main drain and/or skimmer. I think that manual valve is set to draw water from both places in the picture.

From the pump, water goes to the filter, from the filter on to the heater, from the heater to the automated return valve, which selects between pool and spa. Again spa is on the left with a check valve that prevents the spa from draining down when the pump is off. The pool side goes through the inline chlorinator and on to the pool returns.

There is also a pipe on the far right that just comes up to ground level and then goes back down that I can't identify or explain. Just guessing, it might be related to the waterfall pump.

It is now running in pool mode. I think it was the weir door. I didn't even think about it but it came loose and floated into the skimmer basket. However did that just happen but was not problem to begin with?? As I said the PB tech had it running--appeared to be in pool mode--water coming out of pool jets and spilling over from spa. However, he had it set to Spa Drain on the Aqualink and had manually done something to the valves (don't remember what b/c the first thing I did was put all the toggle switches to where I knew they were supposed to be.) In other words, did he manually set it to work as though is were in Pool mode even though the Aqualink said Drain Spa; then after I set the valves and Aqualink correct the weir door stuck. No way it could have been running as though in Pool Mode if the weir door were stuck all along, right? I realize this sounds like crazy round and round but the point is that I want to understand the way my set-up works, so thanks Jason for the run through. I'll have time later today to look at that and see if understand the way everything is flowing. And yes, the pipe coming a bit out of the ground on the right goes to the plumbing/pump for the waterfall. Thanks guys!!

What you say the PB tech did doesn't make much sense unless they had no idea how to work the Aqualink, which seems unlikely.

The weir door could easily have been out of position, and thus prone to sticking, but still working quite recently and only failed just now. That doesn't seem all that likely but it is the only thing that makes any sense.

The automated valve positons should be configured so that in pool mode the intake valve is drawing 100% from the pool and the return is split between the pool and the spa (so the spa will spill over). In spa mode the valves should move to be drawing 100% from the spa and returning 100% to the spa. Drain spa mode means draw 100% from the sap and return split between pool and spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.