Got My New Taylor K2006 kit

sflake

Feb 28, 2013
Cocoa, Florida
:shock:

Ok, so what an eye opener! Shame on me for just going with the pool store all this time...now I know why they just went out of business. Thanks to everyone here as I have learned a ton.

So I have massive amounts of scale that I need to take on. Before going out of business "they" reccommended I put in 2 bottles of acid and united chemical pool stain treat sequestrant and chelator so i understand why some levels are off. I was also told to leave my filter off until the scale goes away.....I don't have a heater so I don't know about that. It just sounded fishy to me so when nothing worked that's when i decided to get really involved and found this place :wave:

FC 0
CC ?
PH below 7.0 not sure how low
TA ? it started red so I didn't go further to get to green -red I assume very low
CH 150 I would think that is wrong as I have so much scale
CYA 100+

I understand scale is a long hard battle.
So I am thinking my first order of business is a drain on account of the high CYA correct?
would I then put everything in balance? or do I need to keep it out of balance for the scale?
any thoughts?

If TA is way off you might still get scale, at least that's what happened in my case.

You are right, it sounds like your TA is near zero. Like Jason says, don't add anything until you replace some water to get CYA down. Once you have that done, you can work on adjusting TA.

You might read through these, they are very helpful in understanding fully how to use your new kit!
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

I can't tell you how much a Taylor 2006 changed my life....or more importantly, you wouldn't believe how much better life was this past summer once I got my Taylor test kit (I got the version with the big bottles) and how much better swimming was for everyone.

If I may suggest, figure out now how much a gallon of bleach or quart, whatever unit you want to use affects your pool. Please don't laugh, for my small pool last year, a cup of bleach would bring my level up 2ppm. Now, tell me how quick it would be you to get your chlorine levels right if you had that info for your pool. For your pool I might suggest a quart (and get a nice quart measuring pitcher to use....convienent equipment counts in my book) as your "standard" amount........

Good luck, let us know how you come out....you'll be very proud of your pool shortly because YOU fixed it, not someone else "telling" you how to fix it.

Bob E.

Or the the experienced ... how many glugs = 1ppm ;)

Eventually you learn that you do not have to measure everything exactly ... lots on uncertainty through the process.

Thanks for the tips. I am going today to get a submersible pump & pitcher. I actually am kind of excited to take control back, jeez what a nerd I am :).

Hopefully the scale will be able to be removed once I get everything else straightened out.

Many thanks to everyone involved in this wonderful site!

Jason, you are certainly correct that towards the end of last year I was much less exact on the measuring, but I would certainly advise to the noob that exact measuring and dispensing of chemicals creates confidence that only improves one's pool experience....and gives the pool owner information and experience of the character of their pool.

How many people at this forum have decided to get a real pool after having positive experiences from those "cheap" Intex pools? BBB and accurate testing/measuring I believe gave them that confidence that a pool isn't a chore but a joy.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.