Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can AA burn plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Can AA burn plaster

Can ascorbic acid burn the plaster or damage it in any way?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Can AA burn plaster

"burn"??? The only significant risk is that ascorbic acid lowers the PH a little, and very low PH can damage plaster. However, if you are using ascorbic acid in anything like the way we recommend the PH will never get low enough for that to be an issue.

The only other effect I can think of that you might be referring to is the effect ascorbic acid can have on copper stains. Copper plus ascorbic acid will often turn the copper stains darker and make them more difficult to remove.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Can AA burn plaster

no just a kind of yellow on the plaster. I used with pool circulating, when stains didn't remove i added more to the area still stained. Certain Spots kind of look the way a step looks when a trichlor cloater gets stuck on it. That is what im referring to with burn, that type of stain is often referred to as chlorine burn