Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AG Pool install Floor, wall, and coving foam

1. Back To Top    #1

AG Pool install Floor, wall, and coving foam

Going to have a 18x33x54 pool installed
    Questions:
    1. Is the floor, wall, and coving foam worth it?
    2. advantages and disadvantages?
    3. are all created equal? (have heard some about this gorilla pool pad)
    4. best places to order

By the way this site and community ROCKS

Thank each and everyone of you for all you openess, honesty, and all around great advice.
    sharkline matrix 18x33x54
    SD80 filter
    hayward matrix 1hp 2 speed pump
    Tf-100 can't live without it

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: AG Pool install Floor, wall, and coving foam

It all depends.... do you have, moles, armadillos, or trees close to your pool? If so, then definitely go with some kind of foam or gorilla pad. In my opinion I think the gorilla pad is best. If not, then just go with sand. The squishiness of the foam will soon diminish anyway. As far as wall foam, I don't think it's worth it for a new pool. Now if you had an older pool, yes.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll give another vote for the gorilla pad. Wall foam isn't usually worth the cost or installation. The foam cove definitely is worth it. It's easy to apply and gives you a good uniform cove around the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Understand each product:
    - foam wall and bottom is for comfort and, some claim, additional retention of heat - although I'm personally not sold on that
    - foam pad bottom won't stop rodents or rocks or weeds coming up
    - Gorilla pad is not foam, it's a very thin (ie: 1/16th inch) geotextile fabric that has absolutely no cushion value but claims to stop anything (glass, rocks, weeds, roots, etc) coming up thru it and poking the liner
    - I have Gorilla pad on my pool, it's near some trees so there's future potential for roots to come up, it is a very very tough fabric and I can beleive it will do it's job. There is no cushion to it, none, and it leaves a slight pattern on liner (ie: wrinkles, etc)
    - the foam cove is simply an easier way to build the cove when you install, it's not necessary, you can use base material to build the cove, when I built my pool I quickly came to the conclusion that the price was worth avoiding the labor, since then it has worked very well and was simple to install
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

My AB ground pool gets delivered today, I purchased the gorilla pad, cove and foam wall pad. My question is this: since i purchased the cove, that will take place of the sand covie when I install my pool right?.
    16344 gal, AG, Fijian 52 Pool 27' round w/ 1.5 HP 21 Sta-Rite Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System. using ZeoBest ZeoLite Filter Media.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes you are correct.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I talked to the pool installer to day he says the foam cove, foam wall not really worth it. But gorilla pad a good idea but not needed. The sand he uses has never had a rock come thru. He did say if I want it he will install free if it is one piece if it is the kind you have to tape together he will charge extra
    sharkline matrix 18x33x54
    SD80 filter
    hayward matrix 1hp 2 speed pump
    Tf-100 can't live without it

8. Back To Top    #8

I would consider the foam cove. Alot fo people here have it including myself and are happy they got it.

just my 2 cents.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.