Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What specs do I look for re: buried AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

What specs do I look for re: buried AGP

I have spent hours on this site and I'm still not clear on it all.

We want to bury an AGP. At least 3/4 of the way or close. We want the most pool for our money but safety and quality are more important. I'd like a pool that will last us a while since this is a big project for us (BTW, this is a self install...DH is handy and has many handy friends).

So I'm looking at pools that are rated as semi-inground but I'm not seeing how that makes them better than some other pools (not SI rated) with similar specs. I feel like I'm paying for them to say, "yes, we will allow you to bury this."

So my question is, what is necessary for a buried AGP regarding material of uprights, walls, etc.?

Also, if we wanted to buy the pool at one place and later buy a pump at another, is there any caveat to that?

I'm hoping to spend about $2k or so on pool, liner, pump, filter, and stairs. Would love to hear any comments on that budget.

Thanks so much!
    Vette, DH, & 2 DDs Our IG AGP Build
    In-ground Radiant 24', 1.5 Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What specs do I look for re: buried AGP

What size pool are you looking for?
    The biggest problem is warranty,if the pool manufacturer says it's OK to bury an above ground pool 12" and you bury it 24" you'll void your warranty.How far you can bury a pool is unique to each manufacturer/pool model.

http://www.doughboy-pools.com/Products/ ... round.aspx Probably not going to come in under budget.

You could buy a 24'x54"round pool,liner,Filter & ladder for $2000-$2500.That wouldn't include site prep,sand,electrical work or shipping.
    Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

3. Back To Top    #3

Funny, I was just reading some of your old posts!

I'm just wondering how important a warranty is. Especially if I'm doing a home install. If a DIY is an automatic void, then I have more pools to choose from.

I'm looking at 3 pools right now.
    Poolfactory has a SI rated Quest w liner for 1785.
    Poolsupplyworld has the sharkline Venture w liner for 1660
    It also has the Matrix for 1770.

All 24 x 54 and all seem to be of similar structure. What will it all boil down to?

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I asked DH about a retaining wall and he said it would be too expensive. Put us way over budget. :/

5. Back To Top    #5

A DIY doesn't necessarily void your warranty.

"What will it all boil down to?" It boils down to"Can the pool structure support the weight of the soil/fill pushing in on the water filled structure,will the structure handle corrison due to it being buried.Also if you bury it you may not be able to drain the pool without it collapsing.(difficult to replace a liner)
    I'm not trying to dissuade you I just want you to see the whole picture.
    Rob

SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Right. So what's to say the non SI rated are any worse than the SI rated?

Really, what I want to know is what are the basics for a pool to be buried? So many inch posts, this kind of coated wall, etc.

7. Back To Top    #7

About the only thing that says whether or not you can semi bury an above ground pool is the manufacterer,local codes and you.
    Some of the Semi-inground pools have a little heavier wall,but not all of them.
    Rob

SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, mine is 52" deep and it is stated in the warranty that it is allowed to be buried up to two feet deep. There are also specifications regarding the type of backfill and how it is done. I don't think there's gonna be much difference in any steel wall pool you choose except the warranty and their rules regarding burying it. READ THE WARRANTY!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

I like the idea of it being buried 2 ft and then have a small amount of decking around it.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for everyone's comments. I've picked out the 24' x 54' Sharkline Heritage or Venture, but I'm leaning toward the Venture because of the resin ledge. Any solid reason to pick the Matrix over either of those?

I've also tentatively picked out the Hayward Power-Flo 1HP 2s pump, Pentair SD60 filter, coving, and gorilla pad. Or should we get the Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2s pump to match the filter - does that really matter? Also, I live in middle GA where it gets hot as Hades and we may not close a pool, so is sand the best option for a filter?

Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Vettechick99
    I've also tentatively picked out the Hayward Power-Flo 1HP 2s pump, Pentair SD60 filter, coving, and gorilla pad.
    The SD60 is right on the edge of being well sized for your pool. We recomend a minimum of 2.5 sq. ft. sand filter for your proposed ~13500 gallon pool, so the SD60 at 2.3 sq. ft. is pretty close.

Or should we get the Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2s pump to match the filter - does that really matter?
    No need to keep the same manufacturer, but you can find the SD60/ dynamo 1.5 hp 2 speed as a combo for a good price.

Also, I live in middle GA where it gets hot as Hades and we may not close a pool, so is sand the best option for a filter?
    You will find many opinions on this. Do you commonly have water restrictions? What is your fill water source...is it high in metals including iron and/or calcium? Are you planning on using a swg? I personally like sand, but answers to the above questions might sway towards one type or another.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Is there a specific reason for the Gorilla Pad?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Is there a specific reason for the Gorilla Pad?
    NutSedge is the number one reason I can think of!

There are others of course, like rocks or roots puncturing the liner but Nutsedge growing through the liner is the best reason I can think of to use it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, I have it on my pool, I'm inquiring because some people believe it's used for padding/comfort and Gorilla pad offers neither.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

15. Back To Top    #15

I've read it was just for protection, but the name does imply it's a pad. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read it here.

16. Back To Top    #16

What stairs are these? Custom?

17. Back To Top    #17

Unless you have a concern about nut grass, stones, roots etc you don't need Gorilla Pad, it will not add anything in terms of comfort for the bottom, that is a completely different product.

18. Back To Top    #18

Those are pretty cool steps vettechick. I've never seen an above ground pool in that shape.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

[/quote]You will find many opinions on this. Do you commonly have water restrictions? What is your fill water source...is it high in metals including iron and/or calcium? Are you planning on using a swg? I personally like sand, but answers to the above questions might sway towards one type or another.[/quote]

I have city water so occasionally we will have water restrictions, but we've had a lot of rain this year and the rivers are overfilled, so I don't think we'll have any this year. We haven't in a few years. If we do, we can water only on certain days, but we can still do some watering. IDK if we have high iron or calcium. I do not plan to use a SWG.

And I haven't seen many people talk about a timer, but I would need one unless I wanted to manually turn on my pump right?

20. Back To Top    #20

...And I haven't seen many people talk about a timer, but I would need one unless I wanted to manually turn on my pump right?
    That is correct. The gold standard is the Intermatic mechanical timers but there are all types and styles out there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast