Sand Filter Replacemment

pcdds

Mar 12, 2010
Phoenix AZ
My Hayward SX360 sand filter developed a crack and need to be replaced. As it is too big for the 12,000 gallon pool in my backyard, I am looking for a smaller replacement.
After speaking with a few pool companies, I was quoted close to 1k for the job and get myself further confused on several issues.

1. I guess a 24 inch sand filter (I am looking at Hayward for now, but open to switch to other brand) should be sufficient base on the spec sheet. But only side mount version comes with 2 inch connection to fit my exiting piping. I was hoping to switch from push-pull to a multi-port, but was strongly discouraged by the pool guy I talked with (not reliable, does not need rinse cycle, etc.). Saw a few sites have model S244T2, which is not listed on Hayward spec sheet?

2. Will the 2 HP pump too big for the smaller filter I am getting? One guy offered $100 to retrofit the pump with smaller diffuser and impeller to downsize the pump. Not sure if it is necessary or even a . I also noted that you may need a bigger pump if you have spa or water feature, which I have both. Should I keep the pump as is? Will it put too much pressure to the filter?

3. One guy recommended WaterCo filter, which I have not heard of, saying it can withstand higher pressure than Hayward. Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer?

Sorry for dumping all my doubts out at once. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

First question would be why it is too big? This forum is a big proponent of large filters. What is the gpm rating? It strikes me that a direct replacement would save a lot of expense and headaches.

but was strongly discouraged by the pool guy I talked with (not reliable, does not need rinse cycle, etc.)
He's incorrect on both counts. They are totally reliable. Rinse cycle should be available on all sand filters.

If you want to stick with a sand filter, we would recommend something at least 2.3 sqft, so a 24" would be a good choice {caveat below} What size plumbing do you have? It is easy to use a reducer to fit into a multi-valve if that is the concern.

Do you only have the single pump that runs the spa jets and/or waterfall? If so, then you may need to keep the large pump to give adequate jet flow. This also could be why there was originally a larger filter ... to reduce head loss for the spa. You would have to go gigantic on the sand filter to be too big, so I would consider keeping a similar size to what you have. This is the draw back of forcing the large volume of water through the filter to run the spa jets. You could change the plumbing to bypass the filter when in spa mode and then easily get by with the smaller filter.

One upgrade/option would we to switch to a 2-speed motor. Then you could only run on high for using the spa and use low for general filtering and circulation.

Let us see what other people think ....

duraleigh said:
First question would be why it is too big? This forum is a big proponent of large filters. What is the gpm rating? It strikes me that a direct replacement would save a lot of expense and headaches.
This was what I have been told by several different pool guys. And I remember reading somewhere regarding the available filtration area needed for certain pool size, 6.7 sqft seems to be high for 12K gallon pool.

but was strongly discouraged by the pool guy I talked with (not reliable, does not need rinse cycle, etc.) He's incorrect on both counts. They are totally reliable. Rinse cycle should be available on all sand filters.

Thanks, will go with a multi port valve.

jblizzle said:
If you want to stick with a sand filter, we would recommend something at least 2.3 sqft, so a 24" would be a good choice {caveat below} What size plumbing do you have? It is easy to use a reducer to fit into a multi-valve if that is the concern.
I have 2 inch plumbing in the ground.
Do you only have the single pump that runs the spa jets and/or waterfall? If so, then you may need to keep the large pump to give adequate jet flow. This also could be why there was originally a larger filter ... to reduce head loss for the spa. You would have to go gigantic on the sand filter to be too big, so I would consider keeping a similar size to what you have. This is the draw back of forcing the large volume of water through the filter to run the spa jets. You could change the plumbing to bypass the filter when in spa mode and then easily get by with the smaller filter.
Yes, that is the only pump in my setup. If I add a bypass for spa and go with the 24" filter, will the flow rate exceed maximum design flow rate or the pressure on the filter become too high? If that is the case, could 30" filter be a better choice for "downsize" the cracked 36" one?
One upgrade/option would we to switch to a 2-speed motor. Then you could only run on high for using the spa and use low for general filtering and circulation.

Let us see what other people think ....

It seems to me that, while both your pump and filter are larger than what is required for that pool, they are a decent match for each other.

If it were my pool, (unless you decide to replace the pump, too) I would replace the filter with the identical one. Then, you have a pump that will still run your features and a filter that is large enough to handle the pump flow.

You will benefit from the extra cleaning power of a large filter, the extra power to run your features, etc. The drawback is you will pay increased electrical cost to run that big pump.

Down the road, you can replace that pump with a 2hp 2-speed and all will be well with your system.

As an aside you are getting some bad advice elsewhere
One guy recommended WaterCo filter, which I have not heard of, saying it can withstand higher pressure than Hayward.
Virtually all filters are rated at 50 psi and your pump is only capable of producing about 35 psi.

If you want accurate help with no agenda, I would stick with what you hear on this forum. You are spinning your wheels and wasting a lot of time with the advice you're getting elsewhere.

I looked up the WaterCo filter and they're rated for 350 kPa (50.7 PSI) so they're basically the same rating as all other filters. WaterCo bought Baker Hydro so they're probably good filters, but we have no experience with them.

Since you're changing from a slide valve to a multiport (good choice by the way), I wouldn't be greatly concerned with exactly matching the filter you have now as you're going to have to replumb a little anyway. Since your spa and water feature runs off one pump, I would stay with at least a 30" filter to reduce the head pressure, or install a bypass around the filter when in spa or water feature mode.

Thanks for all your input, I will go with a 30 inch filter with top mount multi port.
In case the flow ends up too high, I will add a bypass loop to put less flow through the filter. (or should I just do it as the filter goes in?)
Down the road, a variable speed pump once the current one dies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While waiting for the filter (Hayward S310T2) to come, I start to look at what I will need and want to see where can I get those
- Two 2" slip union (to and from multi port valve) did not see it in HD, ACE or other places may have it?
- Some 2" PVC piping and elbows
- Liquid cement (any specific brand that everybody likes?)
- Sand
Anything else I am missing here?

I have found the 2" unions at HD, Lowes, and Ace ... cheaper at the first 2 (same with all the fittings).

Just use a multi-purpose solvent between the PVC and and CPVC parts ... if you do not have CPVC parts, just stick with a PVC solvent.

You may need some pipe dope if the fittings to the multi-valve are threaded like mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.