Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black stain with chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Black stain with chlorine

Hi, I live in PR. I have been using pristine blue with my pool but have gotten lots of stains (blue and black) on its white finish. Also I think it has eaten up my finish. Last night I dicided to stop using pritine blue and as soon as I added chlorine and the chlorine got to the floor of the poolit got stained black. Can someone tell me what happened? Will the stains go away?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black stain with chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

Pristine Blue contains copper. Copper is prone to staining the pool surface. The stains can be any of several colors. Black stains are the most difficult to remove.

Stains tend to form any time the copper level is high enough and the PH goes up at all. Adding chlorine raises the PH temporarily, the PH will go back down as the chlorine gets consumed, but for a short while, especially as it is being added, the PH goes up.

What kind of surface do you have: plaster, fiberglass, vinyl, etc?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it's plaster, because its like white cement. My pool is in ground.

4. Back To Top    #4

The best way to remove copper stains from a plaster pool is a full drain and manual acid wash. There are other approaches, but they aren't nearly as reliable.

In the mean time, keep the PH down around 7.0 to 7.3, which will minimize any additional staining.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

What kind of chlorine did you add? How did you add it?

Take a look at this article in Pool School to help us help you: pool-school/read_before_you_post
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!