Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birds!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Birds!!!

I had no idea where to put this topic but the birds on my solar cover and around my pool are driving me crazy! I constantly have birds around and on my pool and bird droppings all over my cover and concrete. Does anybody know of any tried and true suggestions for keeping the birds away??
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

its called the scarecrow

Here's the link, its kinda pricey, but I bought one, and I love to watch those stupid doves get it. I have to shut it off when its windy because it will detect the moving branches on the trees.

http://www.safepetproducts.com/group.asp?grp=37
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

A good old plastic owl will do wonders. I think they run around $20. We have had one for years in our entry area. We where just talking about adding some to the back yard area around the pool.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

4. Back To Top    #4
    We use the owl too, got it last year. It's working better this year than last, for whatever reason. Got it at Home Depot, I think.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5
    If you can string some fishing line up in the air over where you don't want birds they will generally stay away. They don't like to be in places with too many flying hazards.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Try a couple of rubber snakes.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Tie some shiney silver or gold ribbon to the trees or something near the pool. The flapping, sparkly thing will make them shy away.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8
    A trusty air rifle works wonders, too...
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quarter sticks of dynamite may also help. When you see them, light a stick and toss it out in the yard, then hide under water.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

10. Back To Top    #10
    A raptor would work well, too. Ever see a red-tailed hawk catch a mourning dove?

I say this in jest, but it did remind me of a close encounter I had one day with a mourning dove and a Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk. My back yard is fenced in with chain link fencing, and I have a compost heap in the back right corner. One day last year I was turning the compost heap when I heard a flutter of wings. I turned around just in time to see a mourning dove hit the fence about ten feet away from me, with the hawk right on it's tail. The hawk hit the fence too, and then both of them turned and came flying right by me. I felt the wings of both birds hit me as they went past. Needless to say, I just about wet myself when they came flying past.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

11. Back To Top    #11
    Update.

The owl doesn't work.

That's all I care to say at the moment, as I just spent an hour scrubbing my solar cover after a weekend away.

Stupid Birds.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

12. Back To Top    #12

BB gun works fine here at my house but now i just gotta figure out what to do with the family of bunnies that are living under my shed and decide to jump in the water
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    A trusty air rifle works wonders, too...
    Sure does. Bird control by Crosman.

14. Back To Top    #14

Other suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Update. The owl doesn't work.
    The owl only works if you move it around every 6 hours. That's a real pain. Try trimming away any branches (aka perches) that hang over the pool. I'm not sure what makes your solar cover so attractive, but you can try offering them an area more attractive elsewhere on your property to lure the birds away from the pool by hanging feeders, setting out a birdbath, etc.

There are a lot of "howevers" -- if you have fruit trees like wild cherry, good luck keeping them away.

That sprinkler sounds like a great idea -- no chemicals, harmless and effective.

Anhinga in NJ

15. Back To Top    #15
    It's not really the solar cover that attracts the birds but any type of cover, the birds can walk on it and then they can drink some water, its the water that attracts the birds, the owl thing does not work, at least for me, either the BB gun or the sprinkler, I will never put out a bird feeder or a bird bath, that is just inviting more. I really the piegons and dove that make the real mess
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, you're all right!! The owl really doesn't work, but he does freak out visitors at the pool with that scary bobble head moving around! I live in the desert so we don't really have any trees but we bought the shiny things and the birds are only on the pool before the sun comes up and after it sets which is a great improvement! The flapping of the shiny things can be a little annoying since the pool is outside my bedroom, but it beats all that bird ****! (Oh, and my husband still gets to shoot his air rifle at the ones early in the morning!)
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.

17. Back To Top    #17
    I kept coming home to bird droppings on a certain 36 ft of coping around the pool. I was in the pool with my son and watched as they would fly in and land on the coping and dip their food into the water, eat and then take flight at which point they would leave their present for me to clean off. Decided to try stringing 5 lines from the fascia of the house over the pool and attach to the back fence. Haven't needed to clean off bird poo since.
    18 x 36 21k gal. IG / DiamondBrite / Aquarite SWCG/ 1hp Pentair WhisperFlo pump/Pentair C&C 150 cart. filter

18. Back To Top    #18
    Update....

I have no trees (don't ask).

There is a nearby evergreen bush and we discovered the nest of babies. The mommy blackbird or whatever it is, I think I had a post last year about them...she takes their poop out of the nest and flies over our pool, like a bomber plane, dropping it next to the owl. Seriously, I think she is aiming for it "Here's more poop, nah nah nah"...

I spend an hour cleaning the pool cover every day since that other post. I wake up, look out side, more bird poop.

Ever go into the bird house at the zoo, where they house the penguins and seabirds...that's how it smells. It's awful. I decided to up my Chlor.

This happens every year, while they are babies. It should end in a few short weeks. Then we have the morning doves that poop on the coping.

We tried my son's cap gun, and the bird didn't even flinch. The only thing that keeps her away is us actually swimming in the pool....

19. Back To Top    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Update....

I have no trees (don't ask).

There is a nearby evergreen bush and we discovered the nest of babies. The mommy blackbird or whatever it is, I think I had a post last year about them...she takes their poop out of the nest and flies over our pool, like a bomber plane, dropping it next to the owl. Seriously, I think she is aiming for it "Here's more poop, nah nah nah"...

I spend an hour cleaning the pool cover every day since that other post. I wake up, look out side, more bird poop.

Ever go into the bird house at the zoo, where they house the penguins and seabirds...that's how it smells. It's awful. I decided to up my Chlor.

This happens every year, while they are babies. It should end in a few short weeks. Then we have the morning doves that poop on the coping.

We tried my son's cap gun, and the bird didn't even flinch. The only thing that keeps her away is us actually swimming in the pool....
    I hate to sound cold and mean, but have you ever thought about popping mom with a pellet gun, and humanely disposing of the baby birds? Remember, baby blackbirds turn into adult blackbirds. Get rid of them, get rid of the nest, and enjoy your pool.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

20. Back To Top    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN

I hate to sound cold and mean, but have you ever thought about popping mom with a pellet gun, and humanely disposing of the baby birds? Remember, baby blackbirds turn into adult blackbirds. Get rid of them, get rid of the nest, and enjoy your pool.
    Um, Yeah....

But I've got little kiddies and they would in turn shoot me for hurting "the sweet babies"

They'll be gone in a few weeks.

Hubby's bb gun is broken, maybe I'll be more prepared next year.... 8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast