Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: At what water temp does the algae and junk start to form

1. Back To Top    #1

At what water temp does the algae and junk start to form

Anybody know about what water temps the algae and junk starts to multiply? My water temp is 64 and air temp today was 79. My salt water chlorine generator is not making chlorine....3400 ppm on the salt water, red light is still on indicating "low salt" in the system...water flow and filters are fine. Unit is 8 months old. Intelichlor IC-40.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At what water temp does the algae and junk start to form

Some algae is always growing, but very slowly when the water is cold. I would think once it gets above 60 degrees you should be paying pretty close attention. Actually, you should maintain the correct FC level at all times, it just does not drop very fast over winter.

If the SWG is not working yet, use bleach.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

With a water temp of 64, it should be working. I think your system has a problem; perhaps time to call in for some warranty service.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman59
    3400 ppm on the salt water.
    Where are you getting this reading from?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you ever cleaned the cell? I had a similar error on my IC60 and discovered that this was due to calcium buildup on the plates in the cell. I purchased the cleaning kit (basically, just a screw on fitting to cap the outlet of the cell, added diluted muriatic acid until the white deposits were removed, and then reinstalled the cell. This fixed the problem and the unit worked fine until my temp dropped below 59. Now the unit is off until our water temp goes up. I just keep it dosed with liquid chlorine from HD. You might also double check your water temp with a separate thermometer, as the cell does not like cold water.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all your responses....yes, I recently cleaned the cells with muriatic acid....the 3400 ppm reading has veen verified twice by my local pool store, and I have two thermometers both giving me the same readings within one degree. I will be calling the Intelichlor tech dept again today for more advice. They did set up a tech folder for me on my last call to them since my unit is still under warranty and told me to get back to them if the unit did not start producing chlorine.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman59
    I will be calling the Intelichlor tech dept again today for more advice. They did set up a tech folder for me on my last call to them since my unit is still under warranty and told me to get back to them if the unit did not start producing chlorine.
    Perfect! Do what they want you to do, and stay on them till it is working to your satisfaction.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Maybe you need to add salt?
    20k gal IG plaster, easytouch control, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump w/triton II sand filter and plaster SPA. Built in spring of 2011.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's the latest: I have a local pool store that has been in business for many years....they are an authorized Pentair dealer....well known to Pentair. After talking to the Pentair tech department and getting a lot of info that did not make my unit produce chlorine I went to the owner of my pool store.....they say that no matter what Pentair says regarding water temps and air temps.....and even though the Intelichlor IC 40 unit says that 3400 ppm salt is "ideal", you need AT LEAST that amount. They told me to add three more 40 lb bags of salt and everything would be fine. I did that....and everything is fine. Unit now producing chlorine....water test shows that salt is at 3900 ppm. Local air temps have been in high 80s and low 90s, water temps about 72 degrees. Don't know if this is the answer for anyone else out there....but I now have a unit that is producing chlorine. Life is good.