At what water temp does the algae and junk start to form

Feb 26, 2011
La Quinta, CA
Anybody know about what water temps the algae and junk starts to multiply? My water temp is 64 and air temp today was 79. My salt water chlorine generator is not making chlorine....3400 ppm on the salt water, red light is still on indicating "low salt" in the system...water flow and filters are fine. Unit is 8 months old. Intelichlor IC-40.

Some algae is always growing, but very slowly when the water is cold. I would think once it gets above 60 degrees you should be paying pretty close attention. Actually, you should maintain the correct FC level at all times, it just does not drop very fast over winter.

If the SWG is not working yet, use bleach.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Have you ever cleaned the cell? I had a similar error on my IC60 and discovered that this was due to calcium buildup on the plates in the cell. I purchased the cleaning kit (basically, just a screw on fitting to cap the outlet of the cell, added diluted muriatic acid until the white deposits were removed, and then reinstalled the cell. This fixed the problem and the unit worked fine until my temp dropped below 59. Now the unit is off until our water temp goes up. I just keep it dosed with liquid chlorine from HD. You might also double check your water temp with a separate thermometer, as the cell does not like cold water.

Thanks for all your responses....yes, I recently cleaned the cells with muriatic acid....the 3400 ppm reading has veen verified twice by my local pool store, and I have two thermometers both giving me the same readings within one degree. I will be calling the Intelichlor tech dept again today for more advice. They did set up a tech folder for me on my last call to them since my unit is still under warranty and told me to get back to them if the unit did not start producing chlorine.

Rockman59 said:
I will be calling the Intelichlor tech dept again today for more advice. They did set up a tech folder for me on my last call to them since my unit is still under warranty and told me to get back to them if the unit did not start producing chlorine.

Perfect! Do what they want you to do, and stay on them till it is working to your satisfaction.

Here's the latest: I have a local pool store that has been in business for many years....they are an authorized Pentair dealer....well known to Pentair. After talking to the Pentair tech department and getting a lot of info that did not make my unit produce chlorine I went to the owner of my pool store.....they say that no matter what Pentair says regarding water temps and air temps.....and even though the Intelichlor IC 40 unit says that 3400 ppm salt is "ideal", you need AT LEAST that amount. They told me to add three more 40 lb bags of salt and everything would be fine. I did that....and everything is fine. Unit now producing chlorine....water test shows that salt is at 3900 ppm. Local air temps have been in high 80s and low 90s, water temps about 72 degrees. Don't know if this is the answer for anyone else out there....but I now have a unit that is producing chlorine. Life is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.