For those in the North, when do you open?

Pauls234

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I'd guess the sooner you open the better the chances of opening to clear water, but is there a rule of thumb temperature? My pool is a frozen block of ice right now so opening seems so far off.

I was opening in April, depending on how April treated us *weather wise*. I would never swim but the kids had jumped in a time or 2. :mrgreen: I'm getting a new pool this year and I will probably wait til May to open because it's just my husband and I now and we won't be swimming in the early part of May but I like it open to keep it clean. :goodjob:

We usually open the 3rd week of April - by then it gets tiresome trying to keep the rainwater drained from the cover so we open just to enjoy the Caribbean color and sparkling water. Once the temps get consistently warmer then we turn on the heater and cover with a solar cover. Can't wait!!

Usually sometime in May here...sometimes we even have some cold water swimmers :shock:

EDIT: I should add...if it wasn't for the solar panels, I might not open until June up here, since our nights are still pretty cool at that point.

Since this is the first time opening, I guess I wanted to make sure that I didn't wait too long and open to anything but clear water... which I have always had thanks to finding this site shortly after I inherited a pool and before I started following the bad advice I initially received. And looking out and seeing the water is so much nicer than the covered pool! I think I'll plan on opening in May and cross fingers that I open to clear water, thanks!

Last year it was really warm and I opened on March 27th (when my water temp hit 60).

The 27th is two and a half weeks away, I'm sure there is no chance of opening that early this year. It will be mid April for me too.

Pauls234 said:
I guess I wanted to make sure that I didn't wait too long and open to anything but clear water...
Last year around this time I was checking my water temp, I went fishing with a thermometer almost daily until the water hit 60.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was also looking for info on when to open an above ground with a heater. We bought a heater at the end of last year and fired it for one weekend to make sure it works. It was a used heater.

Just to reiterate..
JasonLion said:
The important number is the water temperature. When the water temperature gets to somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees it is time to open the pool. You can put it off longer than that, but the chances of having an algae problem on opening increase as the water gets warmer.

I need to check mine tonight and see where it's at, I'm guessing low 40s.

I don't think I have any water in mine, I think it is frozen solid! Despite rain and 50 degrees yesterday, all of the snow and water on top of my cover is still icy. My guess is the giant 20,000 gallon ice cube below is keeping it cool.

And thanks for the temp tip Aaron, that is what I was looking for but could not find in the above ground pool opening write up... was it stashed with the inground pool opening?

This northerner is getting antsy reading about all those southerners opening their pools. :mrgreen:
I'm liking the idea of getting rid of the cover and looking at sparkling water ... but ... the last few years the ducks and birds have been swimming in my pool cover and leaving the "bird bath" remains behind. They did the same once the cover came off and it took me the longest time to figure it out. The OCLT was positive and could not figure out why until one early morning I could those ducks "red-handed" swimming in my clean pool. :grrrr:

Do you all have trouble keeping the pool clean this early? If the weather continues this way for the next week, the water temp will be 50, and I guess the process starts. :whip: I'm planning on getting the hoses attached soon (in the next few days) and the filter and pump ready to go.

Would you also start running the pump this early? Or, like they say with planting flowers, don't do anything till the last frost of spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.