Reopen in Dallas yet?

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
Hey everyone! Long time no post! Pool has been closed and I have been fighting the gun rights fight and that is all I will say so I don't step on any toes. Anyway, today got pretty warm here in Big D. Anyone out there reopen yet? I am afraid to look under the cover for fear of seeing a swamp.

Thanks,
Robert

I don't close. In my experience, there is no reason to. In winter months I only run my pump for 4 hours a day, so there would be very little cost savings, and any savings would likely be blown during opening.

<- Dallas

Dead East of you and I don't close------just run pump overnight when the temps drop-------like last weekend!

With a name like Glock, I'm pretty sure I know which side you're on!

I don't close either. We usually entertain during the holidays and host big Super Bowl party and want the pool to look sparkling. In addition, I'm a big believer in keeping the water balanced year-round to maximize the life of the equipment and plaster. Like several others stated, I just run the pump when temps get below freezing or I need to vacuum.

Swim season for me has started in mid-March the past two years but that seems to be in jeopardy this year (should note that I tolerate water temps as low as 65°F). Water temps are 7 degrees colder than this time last year. We would need several more days like yesterday to make up for that, but forecast calls for seasonal temps in the 60's for the next week.

Crazy weather... 88 yesterday and 44 today. The wind last night was incredible. Still blowing today, but not like last night!

It won't be long until we are complaining about our water being too warm. :)

Just south of Dallas and I am still open as well. I have a connected Hot Tub and use it in the winter months. Sometimes we get crazy enough to jump into the 50-55 degree pool to cool off from the hot tub, them jump back to the hot tub and feel the needles. Of course we are drinking a little and I am originally from Minnesota where we do polar jumps into 30 degree water just to say we did it. I am looking forward to more days like yesterday...

I opened and guess what? It's blue and clear and still smells like bleach!! Yay!!!!! lol I have some sand on the bottom from the few sandstorms we had come through but other than that, I have 0 complaints! Filling it up now to turn on the pump. :mrgreen:

One year ago today I opened the 2012 swim season. OTOH, the first swim of 2013 will have to wait a bit. Water temp is 61°F...needs to rise 4 more degrees before I get in. Maybe next weekend...we'll see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its full now. Test results are good.

FC 5PPM
PH 7.6
TA 140
CH 170
CYA 30-35

I added bleach and will be adding cya shortly. Overall, it was a successful reopen. I will not close it again though. The only good that came of it was it kept the leaves and sand out of the pool for the most part. I don't have a reliable vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.